Meet the AP Artist: Adam Zinger

Homestead is home to so many crazy-talented AP artists, including Adam Zinger, senior, who is currently developing his talent in AP Studio Art. Zinger’s bold, eye-catching pieces, as well as his artistic interpretations and his plans to develop his art in the future, are featured below.

Do you plan on having an art related major in college?

Yes, I am planning to major in graphic design in college.

Why and where?

Art has always been a passion of mine and the way I look at it, following your passion is an incredible opportunity. Not everyone gets a chance to do what they love for the rest of their life, so taking that first step towards it is very important to me. I will be attending UWM’s Peck School of the Arts for college.

Why have you continued in drawing all the way until AP?

I have continued in drawing all the way up to AP because at first I thought it was the only thing I could do that was art-based. As I progressed through classes such as Painting and Digital Art, I discovered new forms that I enjoyed. As the only student who has taken AP Studio Art more than once, I’ve been able to explore the concept of drawing to a further extent. Nowadays, my view on “drawing” ranges anywhere from drawing from observation to manipulating images on Photoshop.

How does it feel to look back on your old artwork?

Looking back at my earlier works of art, you can see a huge difference in both style and skill. My first drawings consisted of mainly realistic art; however, growing as a person and an artist helped me advance my skills and develop new drawing habits.

Do you have a favorite piece?

Over the years, I’ve fallen in love with many of my pieces; however, “A Body’s Image” is by far my favorite piece. Even though I feel like it doesn’t show my ultimate skills in drawing, the piece really speaks to me. The meaning behind it is that our society puts so much focus on our bodies instead of who we truly are. The woman in the image is tattooed which adds to more misconceptions and stereotypes about certain people. The woman is also faceless, which in my eyes, intensifies the subject and idea.

How do your teachers shape and impact you as a artist?

In the middle of my sophomore year, I transferred from Nicolet to Homestead. From the first day that I met Mrs. Hustedde, she stood by my side and tried all she could do to make me feel comfortable in the classroom and in the school. From introducing me to other students to shaping my artist view of the world, Mrs. Hustedde has always been there. When I came to Homestead, I went straight into Drawing 3, which soon enough became a struggle for me. Because I took Drawing 1 and 2 at Nicolet, my artistic curriculum was changed. I found that I lacked many of the skills that other Drawing 3 students possessed, simply because I didn’t have the two previous classes at Homestead. Mrs. Hustedde believed in my potential from day one. She guided me, instructed me and became more than just a teacher. She became a friend.

Do you think you have a specific style?

I feel like over the years, I’ve developed many styles; however, the most common one is to give a voice to those in need. It is more of a theme than a style, yet it clearly demonstrates my ideas. I like to explore many different styles of art-making so I wouldn’t say that I have one specific style.

Do you think of yourself as an artist?

I see myself as an artist. Not only because I make art, but also because of the way that I view the world.

Why?

An ordinary student may look at the sky and admire the birds flying by, or the stars in the night; yet, as an artist, I see the colors and the shapes. Because I’m so involved in art-making and idea development, I am able to notice the small things that connect art into everyday life. I believe that when you have reached that point where art consumes every aspect of your life, that then you are truly an artist.