Homestead’s track team looks forward to a great season

Carly Rubin

The Homestead Track team begins practice on Monday, March 7th.

Though the temperature may still be at freezing point, that does not stop the Homestead track team from starting off its season. With track being one of the few sports that have both an indoor season and an outdoor season, this makes it easier for them to start at such an early date.

The girls long distance team recently got a new coach for this year’s season, with previous coach Victor Vilar resigning due to family and work commitments. Coach James DeMarco possesses much running experience and might be able to make the girls a team to fear when it comes to competing. He ran at South Dakota State earning the NCAA Division II title, and after that he started taking classes at Virginia Tech where he volunteered as the cross country coach. Then, he became the cross country, indoor, and outdoor track and field team coach at Blacksburg High School in Virginia, and won 24 state championships. 

Even with the great addition addition to the team, the girls track team lost some major key players to their team. “The biggest area that we lose girls is the high jump. All three of the varsity jumpers were seniors and they were conference relay champs,” Coach John Krueger, girls track and field head coach, said.

With the boys field team losing some really key seniors from last year like, Elijah Triggs in triple jump and high jump, and John Maritta in discus and shot put, the new upperclassmen will have to step up to the plate. The boys sprint team also lost some key athletes like Dominic Enea and Patrick Curran. Though they didn’t lose a lot of seniors, those they did lose will be hard to replace.

“With our great coaching staff, all of the track athletes know what our goals are and know how to get there. We just have to put our nose to the grindstone,” Alex Babiasz, senior, said.

Not only are the girls getting a new coach for long distance running, but the boys long distance team will also have a new addition. Coach Andy Bosley, former cross country and track runner for Homestead, earning an All-American honors in both sports at the University of Madison Wisconsin, will be training the varsity long distance team for upcoming 2016 season. With his son Drew Bosley, freshman, being one of the best runners in the state, they are looking forward to a great season that holds a lot potential.

“Our team won indoor conference but then fell extremely short at conference outdoors, but we sent a few people to state which was great.  Our goals as team are to win conference and send a solid number of runners to state,” Thomas Miller, junior, said.

With the hope that both coaches will help the team reach new heights, the runners, jumpers and throwers are looking forward to a great season with high expectations.

Carly Rubin
The Homestead Track team begins practice on Monday, March 7.
Ellie Hetrick, Senior, receives a hand off from Savannah Melan, Sophomore in the girls 4x200 meter relay. The relay team consisted of Hetrick, Melan, Grace Karegennas, Junior, and Mary Kate Simon, Senior and placed second.
Bella Stechschulte
Ellie Hetrick, senior, receives a hand off from Savannah Melan, sophomore, in the girls 4×200 meter relay. Last year’s  relay team consisted of Hetrick, Melan,Grace Karegennas, junior, and Mary Kate Simon, senior. Their relay team placed second.

William Klocko, Senior, racing his heart out in a close race against the other racers.
Carly Rubin
William Klocko, senior, finishes a close race at an indoor meet last season.