New distance coach aiming to revolutionize Homestead girls track program

James DeMarco, a running legacy, brings success to running programs all across the nation. He is a prominent coach who does not settle for low standards, and now, Homestead will feel the impact of DeMarco’s modifications and dedication.

Commencing his running career as a sophomore in high school, DeMarco joined the cross country team with the simple objective of getting into shape for soccer and cross country skiing–sports that he was more committed to. Little did he know the magnitude his decision would have on his life.

Despite finishing dead last in his first race, DeMarco persevered. Hardship did not hinder him; instead, he endured and finished his first season on the varsity state championship team.

Running allowed DeMarco to become “a better student, earn a partial scholarship in college, be an All-American and a member of the national championship team his senior year for an NCAA Div II program (at South Dakota State University),” he said. Encouraging coaches, outstanding teammates and the simple act of working hard permitted DeMarco to become the accomplished runner that he is.

Bartlett High School, located in Anchorage, Alaska, was the first to experience the constructive effects of DeMarco’s coaching. As a coach, DeMarco’s ideals consist of being “the coach [he] would want to have and one that promotes health and fitness,” DeMarco said. To his athletes, DeMarco preached “relentless and focused effort done consistently over time will produce amazing results.”

Moving to Blacksburg, Virginia, DeMarco continued his coaching career. Endless amounts of dedication made DeMarco stand out in the Virginia running community. Several of his accolades included 10 Roanoke Times Coach of the year awards, Virginia Coach of the Year, Southeast of the United States Coach of the Year, United States Cross Country and Track & Field Coaching Association Virginia Coach of the Year in 2014 and 2015 and 46 River Ridge/Conference 32 Coach of the Year awards.

With his methods, DeMarco developed state champion and national class long distance runners. “The long line of exceptional individual athletes produced out of the Blacksburg program that DeMarco revived to greatness again certainly stand out,” Brandon Miles, founder of MileStat.com and former Virginia track coach, said. Specifically, DeMarco coached 21 girls who have run 5:10 or faster in the 1600-meter run, with six under five minutes, 10 under 11 minutes in the 3200-meter run and 11 under 2:18 in the 800-meter run. On the boys side, DeMarco coached 12 boys under 4:24 in the 1600-meter, with five under 4:16, ten under 9:30 for the 3200-meter run and ten boys at 1:57.50 or faster in the 800-meter run. His girls distance medley relay (DMR) was the national record holder, and three of his girls cross country teams were ranked in the nation’s top 20.

Running further extended into DeMarco’s life by inspiring him to open a a running and walking specialty store in Blacksburg. In 2003, DeMarco founded his business, RunAbout Sports.

DeMarco ended up at Homestead High School due to his wife’s opportunity to complete her residency in Wisconsin. The couple moved to Grafton from where DeMarco continues to manage his RunAbout Sports stores located back in Blacksburg, Virginia and coaches Homestead’s girls track team, replacing previous coach Victor Vilar, who resigned due to his desire to spend more time with his family.

Over 16 years of coaching, DeMarco has developed an approach. DeMarco says he creates two teams: one consists of athletes willing to completely dedicate themselves to the sport; the other team is dedicated, but can only afford to attend some practices due to other interests and commitments.

DeMarco enjoys working with both types of individuals and helping them achieve their personal goals. As a coach, DeMarco “focuses more on individual goals and works really hard to do everything in his power to help me get to where I want to be,” Zanelle Willemse, sophomore, said.

Willemse had an impressive indoor state showing this season, running a 5:19.44 in the 1600-meter run–an impressive jump from her personal outdoor record of 5:35.07. She gives DeMarco a lot of credit for her success. “He has helped improve my strength and endurance substantially,” she said.

A specific change DeMarco made to Homestead’s running curriculum is modifying the warm-up of practices. DeMarco implemented a “five part warm-up not even consisting of running,” Allie Levin, junior, said. With DeMarco’s new approaches, Levin has noticed a substantial increase in muscle and physical strength.

DeMarco recognizes Homestead runners as “a great group of girls that are further along in their commitment to running than the two previous programs I was at when I started at those programs,” he said. The Highlanders’ diligence, paired with DeMarco’s coaching tactics, anticipates a bright future for Homestead’s running programs.