Finding the perfect summer Job: Students share their advice

Since summer vacation is just around the corner, it is now the perfect time to apply for a summer job. With no school, there is plenty of time to work and make some extra money to go shopping and save for college.

Eliza Imbrie, sophomore, currently works at Metro Market as a cashier. “Getting a job was easy where I work; they took me in after the first interview. I think working in the summer is a good way to make some extra money and build job experience,” Imbrie said.

Another Homestead student who is planning on working over the summer is Jacob Watkins, junior, who works part time at Papa Murphy’s. “The best part of a summer job is getting more money, and when I got the job, I was constantly nervous until I learned the ropes well enough,” Watkins said.

Places who are always taking applications are grocery stores such as Metro Market, Sendiks, Piggly Wiggly and Outpost but, also food chains, like McDonalds, Culvers and Noodles and Company which are all found in Mequon. In addition, locations in the new Mequon Town Center, including Cafe Hollander and Collectivo, are often taking applications.

This past summer, Alison Greisch, junior, tutored kids at Kumon, but because of fall and spring sports she decided to take a break. 

“Last summer, working was alright. I tutored a couple days a week. After a while, it lost its touch, but I still did make good friends,” Griesch said.

Greisch is currently looking for summer work and plans on looking in Mequon, Thiensville and Cedarburg. “I want a summer job because it helps me save up for college, and I also won’t be living off my parents. It’s just something good to do that teaches you how to handle money wisely,” Greisch added.

Being a teenager, many high school students find summer work as a stepping stone or a rite of passage. Being a student and athlete, it is often difficult to balance a part-time job during the busy school year. But when summer comes, take advantage of the few months without school with work, but remember to have fun.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 7.46.29 AMAnna Kreynin