Freshman Friday: Ashley Wendt spikes her way into freshman year

Ashley+Wendt%2C+freshman%2C+has+finally+became+a+member+of+the+%23mightyhighlanders+family.+Last+year%2C+she+was+stuck+in+middle+school+but+this+year%2C+she+is+enjoying+her+newfound+freedom.+The+amount+of+freedom+you+have+in+high+school...I+love+it%2C+Ashley+said.+

Ashley Wendt, freshman, has finally became a member of the #mightyhighlanders family. Last year, she was stuck in middle school but this year, she is enjoying her newfound freedom. “The amount of freedom you have in high school…I love it,” Ashley said.

Every Friday, Highlander Publications chooses a freshman to be featured in “Freshman Friday,” giving the student population the opportunity to get to know its freshman class. Read below to learn about this week’s freshman, Ashley Wendt.

When Ashley Wendt, freshman, pictured high school the images that came to mind were quite terrible.

“Go back to middle school! Freshman!”

“Watch out shortie!”

“Who is that loser holding the map? It’s been like two whole weeks of school. Ugh, freshman.”

“I would always hear the horror stories of being made fun of in high school. I was scared the whole time leading up to my first day of high school,” Wendt laughed. Luckily for her, she has survived almost a month of high school and the biggest change for her has been a positive one. “The trimesters are a big change. Now in high school you only have five classes instead of a dreadful eight classes in middle school,” Wendt said cheerily.

Wendt is a member of the freshman girls volleyball team, which she can sum it up with three words: “I love it.” Wendt shoots the words out quickly, accompanied by a large smile.

One of the most exciting parts about high school for Wendt is that she is looking forward to the experiences that await her in the next three years. Like any freshman she is looking forward to making new friends.

“My favorite part of high school has been going to the football games and cheering on Homestead. Overall, it’s just been a really fun experience to be a part of,” Wendt beamed.