Freshman Friday: Maya Kurtin leaps her way into high school

Kurtin poses for a photo with her siblings Mackenzie, Brendan and Lindsay at her eighth grade graduation. Kurtin attended Steffen Middle School prior to being a freshman this year at Homestead. “I took a lot of photos at graduation including this one with my siblings and I” she said. (submitted photo)

Maya Kurtin, freshman, danced her way through preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, middle school and continues to dance presently as she starts high school on an excited note.

“I’ve been dancing since I was three years old and I currently do jazz, hip hop, contemporary and ballet at North Shore Dance Studio as well as poms for dance team here at Homestead,” Kurtin said

If Kurtin isn’t dancing, you can find her playing tennis, hanging out with her friends or spending time with her family. She has three siblings: her ten year old brother Brandon, 16 year old sister Mackenzie and 20 year old sister Lindsay.

“My favorite thing to do with my family is going on vacations because I enjoy spending time with them while exploring new places,” Kurtin said.

When Kurtin has free time to herself, she loves to relax and watch her favorite reality TV shows, “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette.”

Something most people don’t know about Kurtin is that she has lived in three different states: Arizona, Utah and Wisconsin and she hopes to be a news and sports reporter when she grows up.

“It interests me learning new stories and hearing what’s going on in our society,” she said.

Kurtin, who jokes that the Homestead fight song is her favorite song, likes all genres of music, but one experience that really stuck with her ever since it happened was when she danced alongside Martina Mcbride, country singer and songwriter, at one of her concerts. “Mcbride’s assistant called my dance studio and asked if six dancers would be able to dance alongside her. I was one of the six dancers picked and it’s a memory I will cherish forever. It was such a cool experience,” she said.

While Kurtin continues to do all of the things she enjoyed prior to high school, she now also enjoys attending school events, such as the football games that represent the school spirit Homestead has.

“High school gives me so much freedom and independence, which I love,” Kurtin said.