Zach Ginkel, senior, and Sophie Nelson, senior play the part of Orpheus and Eurydice, a couple deeply in love. Photo used with permission from the Homestead Drama Club.

One Act performance review: The Fall of Orpheus

November 13, 2016

A beautiful and inspiring story of love, adventure and human imperfection shown in only 35 minutes, a true spectacle: the fall production of The Fall of Orpheus.  On November 12, Homestead High School’s One Act Class of ‘16 presented its own physical theater piece in preparation to their state competition. Throughout the performance, the audience enjoyed passionate acting and aerial dance techniques that added a sense of grace and sophistication to the piece.

One Act is definitely not a traditional class since the students themselves take control of their theater productions. The students take on the responsibility to design sets, technical elements, costumes, blocking and even writing their own lines. Once their piece is crafted, they transition to competition

“Working with everybody was very hard since it’s such a flexible, creative piece, but it turned out pretty amazing,” Zach Ginkel, senior, who played the part of Orpheus, said.

Dedicated actors  embodied the famous Greek myth, playing their roles as if second nature. To name some of the many, Ginkel, who played Orpheus, and Sophia Nelson, senior, who played Eurydice, had a perfect connection throughout the love story. The two were not afraid to go that extra step to really make the audience believe in their character’s love for each other.

“I’m not a very romantic person, so this performance really pushed me out of my comfort zone, I’m very grateful for that,” Nelson said.

Orpheus and Eurydice, a newly-wed couple, have to escape the underworld together, and throughout their journey there, one could really feel integrated into the setting. The simple but powerful props, the dramatic makeup, and the acting really came together in a way that made you feel slightly petrified. Emma Zander, Lauren Burghardt, and Lily Higgins, seniors, embodied three spirits or ‘fates’  from the Underworld who had particularly haunting personalities, using body movements and facial expressions to complement their eerie characters.

“I thought the play was very powerful and well performed,” Grace Baden, sophomore, said.

To say the least, I would have to agree with Grace and say this performance was truly unforgettable. From the props to the actors, the story really came together in a brilliant way in a surprisingly short period of time. The skill, the passion, and the dedication was not just wonderful to see but inspiring to watch.