Filed under News, School, Showcase

Means appointed superintendent of Clarke County School District

Means served as superintendent of MTSD for nine years. He officially  accepted the position with the Clarke Country School District in Georgia on May 4 and will begin the new position in July.

Means served as superintendent of MTSD for nine years. He officially accepted the position with the Clarke Country School District in Georgia on May 4 and will begin the new position in July.

The Clarke County Board of Education has unanimously approved a contract to appoint Dr. Demond Means, MTSD superintendent, as the next superintendent of the Clarke County School District (CCSD) in Athens, Ga. Means signed a three-year contract with the school district, after a meeting held on May 4. 

Means has served as the superintendent of the Mequon Thiensville School District for nine years and will end his service on June 30. According to a press release issued by the Clarke County School District, his new contract will begin on July 10. 

“The Board of Education is very pleased to officially announce Dr. Demond Means as the next superintendent of the Clarke County School District,” Charles Worthy, CCSD Board President, said. “Dr. Means has a track record as a visionary leader, as well as being an innovative and creative leader. I cannot imagine a more ideal incoming superintendent for the Clarke County School District and the Athens community.” 

When looking to appoint a new superintendent, the Clarke County School District interviewed 75 applicants from 19 states. After numerous rounds of interviews, the board reached a unanimous agreement that Means was the final candidate. Means first met with the Athens community on April 3, where he partook in a question and answer session with community members, and was presented as the sole candidate for the superintendent position. Then, on April 6, the board voted and unanimously agreed on Means’ appointment. The hiring was finalized at a meeting on May 4, where Means agreed to the contract and accepted the position. 

“I am ecstatic to join the Clarke County School District and the Athens community, and want to also thank the Mequon-Thiensville School District and surrounding community for their support over the last decade,” Means said.  “I am excited to continue the trajectory the Clarke County School District has set in being a national leader in closing achievement gaps. I also look forward to rallying around the shared values of the Board of Education, community members, educators, parents and students in order to take the school district to new heights in the near future.”  

“Finding a leader who is aligned with our mission, who will support and help advance our strategic plan, and who understands our community are key considerations, and the board is aligned in its focus on finding that person,” Stephanie Clark, MTSD Board of Education president, said. “While we are saddened by Dr. Means’ transition we are confident that the school district’s standards of excellence will persist well into the future, thanks to a strong leadership team, an incredible staff, outstanding teachers, engaged parents and an involved and supportive community.”