Students to dress up for hallway trick or treat

Many students are aware that Oct. 31 is a half day according to the school calendar, but what many don’t know is that it is also a dress up day. Last year was the first time that students at Homestead High School trick or treated during the school day. They dressed up and begged their teachers for candy during passing periods.

According to a survey of 100 students, 87 percent are excited to dress up. Mackenzie Goebel, junior, said, “I love candy and costumes so this is great.”

Although this activity may be hectic for teachers many still find it has value for the students. Mr. Joe Ciurlik, American Students and AVID teacher, said, “Anytime that you can lighten the atmosphere and change the coloring of the gray cloud that so often hangs over this school it is for the best.”

The colorful and creative costumes will cover the halls of Homestead on Oct. 31. Last year nearly every student participated in the dress up day. Katelyn Meer, sophomore, said “It is so exciting to see what everyone will dress up as and to figure out my own costume.”