Sisters dish up dinner venue for freshman class

Homestead students and parents came together Saturday, Oct. 12, for an all-freshmen Homecoming dinner hosted by sisters Mrs. Megan McCormick and Mrs. Patty Bowen, mothers of Finnian McCormick and Betsy Bowen, freshmen.

Being new to a school can be incredibly taxing and strenuous. A student must be prepared to juggle homework, extracurriculars and on top of that, Homecoming plans. Regarding this, the McCormick/Bowen sisters intended on inviting the entire freshmen class. “I really like the idea of the freshmen having a place to go to be together and relaxed,” Mrs. McCormick said.

During the festivity, around 104 freshmen and their parents enjoyed dining on Maggiano’s, mingling with one another and photographing their children’s first Homecoming. “Everybody had a great time socializing. Having a lot of people there was so fun because it gave those people a place to go, chat and have a great time,” Finnian McCormick, freshman said.

Additionally, students had the opportunity to meet the Mayor of Mequon, Mr. Dan Abendroth and ride in a trolley donated by Mr. Dan Mikolajczak, father of Kyle Mikolajczak, freshmen. “The trolley was really cool. It looked really old fashioned. We arrived in style,” Lily Zall, freshman said.

The party was an immense success, further passing on the ideas of kindness and inclusion of others to the attendees. “I think it was a great idea for my parents to let any and all freshmen come to our house before Homecoming. It gave kids that might not have had anything to do before, a place to go and made everyone happy to be included,” Connor McCormick, junior, said.

“[Homecoming] might be a little nerve racking, but it’s exciting,” Mr. David Markson, school counselor said. Luckily, with the help from two Mequon mothers, some of the stresses of Homecoming were lifted off the shoulders of Homestead freshmen and their parents.

Freshmen pose with their dates before the Homecoming dance.  “My first Homecoming was great. I will never forget this and I would not change anything for next year,” Finnian McCormick, freshman said.
Freshmen pose with their dates before the Homecoming dance. “My first Homecoming was great. I will never forget this and I would not change anything for next year,” Finnian McCormick, freshman said.