Emma Zander

Extracurriculars shape students’ futures

After-school activities have long term effects on students' lives

October 21, 2014

The average week for Katie Cao, sophomore, involves attending an INTERACT volunteer club meeting, practicing and researching for Debate Team, participating in Student Council activities and staying on top of her homework. Cao may sound like an over-involved student; however, she is one of many students at Homestead High School who participates in a variety of extracurricular activities.

Extracurricular activities have become increasingly significant in the modern student’s life, and Homestead’s student body is no exception. Studies conducted by the U.S. Department of Education show students who participate in extracurriculars are more likely to get higher grades. Although there is no direct path from clubs to Ivy Leagues, grades are higher for involved students because they enjoy attending school more. Actor Erin Carley, freshman, explained, “When I have a rehearsal after school it keeps me energized through the day because I know what I’ll be doing after school is really fun.”

Extracurriculars have undoubtedly shaped my high school experience and the person I am today.

— Carly Schulz

In addition to higher grades, extracurriculars have an impact on standardized test scores and social interactions. According to the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), “Children involved in extracurricular activities are less likely to engage in antisocial behavior and tend to score higher on standardized tests.”

Many teenagers have met their friends through their clubs or sports. Maggie Collins, senior and Drama Club Co-President, elaborated, “As I’ve found the HHS Drama Department to be my niche, I’ve realized a lot of that is due to my best friends from all grades also being involved. My core group of friends originated from a combination of choir and theatre.” Students who were shy in the past found engaging in their school community helped them make friends and broaden their horizons. Varsity cross country runner Ben Starsky, sophomore, affirmed, “I came from a private school, so I didn’t know many people; but, doing cross country made me friends and after that I was accepted quickly. They’re my best friends now.”

Clubs, though, are falling prey to budget cuts around the nation. In Education Next an analysis of national data displays cutting after-school activities could be as detrimental as cutting academic subjects. In fact, researchers concluded participating in extracurriculars can be more vital to students’ future successes than academics.

Girls Exploring Math and Science (GEMS) Co-President Carly Schulz, senior, analyzed, “Extracurriculars have undoubtedly shaped my high school experience and the person I am today. I’ve been able to meet so many amazing people and, through their support, I’ve realized what I’m passionate about in life. Having the opportunity to partake in extracurriculars is a privilege that has changed my life for the better, and in retrospect, I strongly believe that having such an opportunity is a privilege that every student should be able to take advantage of.”

Although getting good grades remains important, do not discredit extracurricular activities’ roles in a student’s everyday life and future. Extracurriculars may be the little “extra” a student needs in his/her life.