Freshman Friday: Maturana dances through high school

February 27, 2015

Each Friday, one freshman is chosen to be featured on The Highlander Online. This lucky freshman is interviewed in order for students to learn more about Homestead’s newest #MightyHighlanders. This week’s pick is Renata Maturana, an artistic music-lover.

What is your favorite part of high school so far and why?

I really like how we change classes and the sports and also the amazing activities we have. I like how we change classes because I think it’s cool how each trimester you have different classes with different people. I loved cross country because everyone was so nice to me and made me feel welcome. Everyone at Homestead is so sweet so I enjoy going to school and seeing my friends.

If you could visit anywhere in the world where would you visit and why?

If I could go anywhere right now it would be Paris because it’s far away and it’s my favorite place in the world.

Who is your biggest role model and how has he or she influenced your decisions in life so far?

My biggest role model is my mom because she encourages me, supports me and gives me the best advice. I always look up to her when I need help and she’s always there to listen. She’s not just my mom but she’s my sister and my best friend. She makes me happy and without her I wouldn’t be here. She tells me what’s right and what’s wrong even when it comes to fashion. She’s just really supportive and she tries her best to make me happy.

What are three things on your bucket list?

Go skydiving, ride a hot air balloon and visit Easter Island.

What are you looking forward to in the next three years at Homestead?

I look forward to being one of the older kids and Prom for sure. I’m really excited for everything. Right now being a freshman isn’t the coolest, but I like it so far.