Girls track off to a running start in the outdoor season

Bella Stechschulte

Savannah Melan, freshman, hands off the baton to Ellie Hetrick, junior, during the 4×200 relay on Saturday, April 11 at Nathan Hale High School.

Making the transfer from indoor to outdoor season, the Homestead girls track team competed on Saturday, April 11, at Nathan Hale High School placing sixth out of 14 teams.

With this being an out-of-conference meet, the girls had the opportunity to see other competition in the state. Although the meet did not end with the team placing in first, it proved to be a valuable meet for experience. “I think we really gave it our all at this meet, and the results prove that,” Nina Peot, junior, said.

The long distance crew brought in a lot of success for the lady Highlanders. Standout performances came from Katie Wegmann, sophomore, taking first in the 800-meter run, outrunning the second place finisher by about three seconds, and Erin Connolly, junior, coming in fourth for the 3200-meter run.

The 4×200 team consisting of Mary Kate Simon, junior, Savannah Melan, freshman, Grace Karegeannes, sophomore and Ellie Hetrick, junior, took second place in a very competitive race.“It was a perfect day for our first outdoor track meet. We had new runners have the opportunity to excel in their individual races, and our coaches made stacked relays,” Karegeannes said.

Jessie Zupke, sophomore, took twelth in the shot put and fifth in the discus throw, putting the Highlanders on the field events board for the day. The meet proved to be a success for the Highlanders, who look forward to only improving from here.

“It was the exact start to the outdoor season that we had been hoping for, and we look forward to improving on our times and hopefully coming out on top in the conference,” Ellie Trau, junior, said.