GEMS club takes a look into the professional world at Prep-Pro event

Sarah McCarthy and Kelsey Wagner, seniors, observe a clay molding from one of the mentors at the GEMs event. Wagner stated that the event taught her more about STEM. “Typically when I think of a STEM career, I think of accounting or engineering,” Wagner said.

Forty years ago it was practically unheard of for a woman to uphold a profession as a mathematician or an engineer. This past Saturday, April 11, however, 25 girls from Homestead’s Girls Exploring Math and Science (GEMS) club along with students from neighboring high schools explored these professions among women in the math and science field for legitimate career possibilities.

The Prep-Pro event was held at the Schlitz Audubon Center where students rotated through different stations to talk to professional women. The event was produced through Tod Herbert, Engaging Girls in Science (EgGS) creator, and the GEMs club. “If it wasn’t for the GEMs program this wouldn’t have happened, and as a result of working with Mr, Sivanich, Carly Schulz and Sarah McCarthy, we have great footing to move this forward into next year,” Herbert said.

Due to a lack of venue opportunities, this is Herbert’s first event. “We now plan to do this if not once a year but multiple times across the city,” Herbert said.

The primary purpose of Prep-Pro is to motivate girls to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math [STEM]. “Prep-Pro was a wonderful opportunity to speak with women who have gone through experiences similar to what I’ll be experiencing in a few years,” Sarah McCarthy, senior, said.

Priya Khullar, senior, personally knew some of the role models who attended the event and said that “they were so thrilled that they said this event made their day; they were impressed by how passionate everyone was.”

Rashmi Sood, associate professor, discusses her journey to her career to  some high school kids at the GEMs event. Priya Khullar, senior, stated that all the women there were inspiring. “Everyone I talked to was passionate about their job,” Khullar said.
Rashmi Sood, associate professor, discusses the journey to her career to some high school kids at the GEMs event. Priya Khullar, senior, stated that all the women there were inspiring. “Everyone I talked to was passionate about their job,” Khullar said.

With that, the event proved to be successful for not only the mentors, but the students as well. “It was very beneficial to learn more about different career options. Typically when I think of a STEM career, I think of accounting or engineering. This event showed me that there’s so much more,” Kelsey Wagner, senior, said.

Khullar added that everyone there was excited about their jobs and increasing the number of women in the STEM field. “After meeting these women, I know for a fact that I will go into a STEM field,” Khullar said.

Not only did the event drive students to seek a career in the professional world but also guide and teach them how to make that dream a reality. “The best thing I learned was to be bold and to be confident in my aspirations because with enough work, anything is possible,” McCarthy said.

Along with students from Homestead, students from Milwaukee also attend the event. Every student was given a booklet filled with all the mentors names and job description. “I knew a couple of the role models personally and after the event, they were so thrilled that they said this event made their day. They were impressed by how passionate everyone was. The high schoolers were thrilled too,” Priya Khullar, senior, said.
Along with students from Homestead, students from Milwaukee also attended the event. Every student was given a booklet filled with all the mentors’ names and job descriptions. “ Having the opportunity to talk one-on-one with professionals that have gone through what many of us may experience in the future was enlightening and inspiring,” Carly Schulz, senior, said.

For more information about GEMs click here