Boys tennis hopeful after blowout win against Port Washington

Carly Rubin

Tucker Gabriel, sophomore, focuses on his match during Thursday’s meet.

The boys tennis team served up a 7-0 win against the Port Washington Pirates on Thursday, April 23 at Homestead High School. Although it is still early in the season, the team is looking promising even with the loss of senior star, Daniel Wichman.

Earlier this year, Wichman sustained a devastating injury, a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). He was gearing up to fill  the team’s number one position for singles.

“I am deeply saddened that I cannot compete for the greatest high school on earth this year or the greatest coach in the world, but I am nothing but thankful for the time I’ve had here and the relationships I’ve developed.”

— Wichman

The injury has not kept him from being a part of the team, as he is taking on a role of ensuring everyone is doing their best. “He has been a very good team player and coming to practices and showing good team enthusiasm. We will miss him on the team and it is very sad for him, being a senior, not being able to finish out his high school career,”  Jackie Egelhoff, head coach, said.

Even with Wichman out, the Highlanders faced the challenge and defeated Port. David Berman, junior, especially had a successful night, not losing one single game. He outplayed his opponent 6-0 in both of his two matches. “It was a good meet, but personally I’m looking to improve my first serve percentage. Our team is working to improve our mental attitude as a whole,” Berman said.

Other standout performances came from the doubles team of Andrew Mullins and Sydan Parker. They also beat their opponents 6-0, not losing a game.

After this win the boys team is very confident in their abilities to compete, but they still know their is room for improvement and hope to have success in the invite in Madison this weekend.

Wichman may be out, but the team is aiming high for the season and intend to fill his role as best as possible. “The boys are psyched up to fill his position, but really no one can because he was going to be in that number one singles position. We are hopeful that he could return near the end of the season though,” Egelhoff said.