Boys golf well-prepared for tournament at Wanaki Golf Course

Carly Kleiman

Robbie Morway, sophomore, tees off during practice at Ozaukee Country Club.

This Wednesday, 22 golf teams will be traveling to Menomonee Falls to face off for the tournament title. “This meet is normally one with many solid teams, but if we play how we are capable of playing, we should be able to compete with the other great teams,” Charlie Maleki, senior, said.

Challenging, lengthy practices have been leading up to the tournament on April 29 at Wanaki Golf Course. The team has been preparing themselves on the green at the Ozaukee Country Club.

Even greater than their high hopes for the season, a bond has been created between Maleki and Robbie Morway, sophomore standout. Morway was new to the school district his freshman year, but that did not stop Maleki from taking him under his wing. From driving him to practices to practicing in their free time, they became very close friends on the road to a state championship last year. “Charlie is our leader on and off the golf course,” Morway said.

Whether it be his ball striking, confidence on the course or ability to close out his rounds, Morway is always looking to improve on his skills, and Maleki is always there to cheer him on.

However, Morway is not the only one who has been improving on his game this season. “I have been very impressed with the whole team so far this season. Sophomore Max Pasher and senior Blake Anderson have surprised me with their consistent play early in the season,” Coach Steve O’Brien said.

Although the tournament this week is stacked with competition, the “homeslices” are prepared to give it their all. Even with a couple of players who have never played varsity before, the confidence to win is there. Arrowhead and Middleton will be Homestead’s biggest threats to the tournament title on Wednesday.

The team is looking forward to putting their best shots out on the green, but their main focus of the season is getting back to the level they were at last year. “We have only had four meets and have been very competitive in every one.  We have been working very hard and improving our weak points of our games in order to continue to reach our goals of being conference champs and qualifying for state,” Coach O’Brien said.