Mighty Hawaiianers hula to victory

The mighty Highlanders said “Aloha!” to another football victory last Friday, Sept 5. The Port Washington Pirates attempted to conquer Homestead shores, but the Highlanders were too strong, winning 50-21 and advancing their record to 3-0. Decked out in swaying hula skirts, colorful leis and authentic coconut bras, Homestead’s student section went all out for this week’s Hawaiian theme, exuding pride for their school and surpassing Port Washington not only in football, but in school spirit.

“It’s always a huge motivation playing in front of all your classmates and peers,” Jack Popp, junior and starting Homestead football player, said. “When they’re loud and into the game, it helps us raise our intensity and play better.”

Cheering loud and having fun with the themes are two of the main ways Homestead students support their football team and show pride for their school. According to Sean Reynolds, senior and one of the student section leaders, this year “the student section has been louder than ever in close games. [At Friday’s game], we were really loud in the beginning through the first three touchdowns.”

While the cheers and chants start at kick-off, finding the right outfit is a much lengthier ordeal. Outfit planning begins as soon as the theme of the game is announced. “Getting ready for a football game is a week long process. We start planning it out on Monday. How many other schools can say that?” Tessa Gebhardt, junior, said.

Although outfits are menial compared to the magic that happens on the field, they do play a major role in showing support for the football team and for Homestead in general. “I always make sure my outfit is on point,” Kia Pourmodheji, junior, said. “It reflects your true Homestead spirit.”

Anyone who attends a Homestead football game can feel the pride radiating from the student section. “Everyone goes all out and just has a great time. There is so much cheering and the students are full of school spirit,” Mackenzie Goebel, junior, said. “Homestead definitely has the best student section and football team in the state.”

Homestead's flag waves in paradise as students await the start of Friday’s football game against Port Washington.
Homestead’s flag waves in paradise as students await the start of Friday’s football game against Port Washington.
Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 2.00.29 PM
Katie Writz, Mari Duckler, Mackenzie Goebel, Nia Newton and Nicole Zingale, juniors, come together to support Homestead football. According to Goebel, “The games are the best part of the school year. You can show great school spirit by coming to the games and cheering loud for the team.”
Perfectly fitting with the paradise theme, a rainbow appears over the field. Chase Gabriel, senior, said, “That rainbow was sick. Even God loves Homestead.”
Kate Thomas, junior, throws up two number ones in support for the home team. Thomas went all out and got ready with a big group of friends for the game. Thomas said, “We put a lot of effort into our game outfits. When our student section looks good it’s a reflection of how much we love our school.”
Kate Thomas, junior, throws up two “number one”s in support for the home team. Thomas went all out and got ready with a big group of friends for the game. Thomas said, “We put a lot of effort into our game outfits. When our student section looks good it’s a reflection of how much we love our school.”
Students watch attentively as Luke Neusen, senior, scores the first touchdown of the game. Sam Brink, junior said, “Then the student section really became a luau.”
Students watch attentively as Luke Neusen, senior, scores the first touchdown of the game. “Then the student section really became a luau,” Sam Brink, junior, said.
Kelly Ochocki,  Jackie Chang, and Victoria Shveytser, seniors, pose for a quick picture minutes before the start of the game. The seniors prepared for the game by taking a quick trip to Goodwill. “I love the school spirit at homestead football games! Everyone comes together and I get a chance to hangout with my friends,” Shveytser said.
Kelly Ochocki, Jackie Chang and Victoria Shveytser, seniors, pose for a quick picture minutes before the start of the game. The seniors prepared for the game by taking a quick trip to Goodwill. “I love the school spirit at Homestead football games! Everyone comes together and I get a chance to hangout with my friends,” Shveytser said.
Sam James and Abby Pipines, juniors, hang loose before the football game. James said, “When Friday night comes, my mentality is go hard and go Homestead. My friends and I get really into the games.”
Sam James and Abby Pipines, juniors, hang loose before the football game. “When Friday night comes, my mentality is go hard and go Homestead,” James said. “My friends and I get really into the games.”
Jake Zehms, Sarena Farber and James Guskov, sophomores, appear ready for spring break in their Hawaiian shirts, sun hats and decorative leis. “I’m really glad I’m not in the freshman section anymore,” said Guskov.