The student news site of Homestead High School in Mequon, Wisconsin.

The Highlander Online

Filed under From My Eyes

From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

For this week’s edition of From My Eyes, Maggie Martin, senior, offers a unique view into her life as a proud horse owner and rider. Check out the video below to see a day with Hershel from her own eyes.

When did you start riding horses?

I started riding when I was 7 on a horse named Lelu.

When did you get your horse and where do you keep him?

I got my horse when I was 9, and he was only a year old. When he was 4 years old, I moved him from my trainer’s barn in Jackson to a family friend’s farm here in Mequon.

Where is your favorite place to ride Hershel?

Definitely out on the trails or fields. I love being outside with him, and sometimes we go on little adventures. When you’re on a horse, you can also approach wild animals like deer and turkeys because they don’t view horses as potential threats.

What is something a lot of people don’t know about keeping a horse?

It’s expensive and time-consuming, but it’s worth it.

What is a stunt you wish you could do on a horse?

I wish I did more jumping. There are many different types of riding, and one thing you can do is called cross country. It’s similar to the people version of the sport, but you’re on a horse and going over crazy jumps. I have a great amount of respect for riders who do that. Also, I think roping and chasing cows would be a pretty awesome thing to do.

Submitted photo

A 9-year-old Maggie Martin, now senior, poses proudly with her new horse, Hershel.

Print Friendly

6 Comments

6 Responses to “From My Eyes: Horsin’ around”

1. Kim Kassander on October 20th, 2015 9:46 pm

Makes me miss home! Good job Maggie! I like that you gave Eddie and Daisy a little spot light! 🙂

[Reply]

2. Joe Kassander on October 21st, 2015 1:36 pm

Nice video Maggie!!

[Reply]

3. Nupie Huettl on October 21st, 2015 5:07 pm

Great job ! So many memories, it was like spending the day with you.I thought of Lelu thanks Maggie your awesome!

[Reply]

4. Kelly Kassander on October 21st, 2015 6:05 pm

WOW!

[Reply]

5. DEBBIE JOINER on October 23rd, 2015 11:36 am

Maggie, what an amazing video! Very well put together! I must show this to my daughter! Hershel is awesome, and thanks for sharing a short journey of your life with him. Blessing to you and all of your future endeavors.

[Reply]

6. D J Martin on October 23rd, 2015 12:04 pm

Very Cool !!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Feature

Trash Talk: The reality about recycling at Homestead

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Feature

Sleep deprivation rises in high schools

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Feature

One year wiser: New teachers reflect on their first year

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Kinfolk News

Kinfolk News Podcast: Episode 9

• Humor

Teachers try out fidget spinners

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Showcase

What’s on your playlist: Carly Rubin

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

News

Weight room under renovation

• Freshman Friday

Freshman Friday: Teah Marks

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Hidden Gems

Hidden Gems of Thiensville: Sydney b. Children’s Boutique

• From My Eyes: Horsin’ around

Feature

Reflecting on the past

The student news site of Homestead High School in Mequon, Wisconsin.
From My Eyes: Horsin’ around