Red Ribbon Week speaker stirs up crowd

Reggie Dabbs visits Homestead

During the assembly on Thursday, Oct. 22, Reggie Dabbs, motivational speaker, talks to students. Dabbs told his story and played the saxophone throughout his speech. Nicole Gauss, sophomore, said, The assembly was really fun and creative.

Molly

During the assembly on Thursday, Oct. 22, Reggie Dabbs, motivational speaker, talks to students. Dabbs told his story and played the saxophone throughout his speech. Nicole Gauss, sophomore, said, “The assembly was really fun and creative.”

Since 1980, Red Ribbon Week has brought awareness to students about drug abuse. It shows some of the consequences of living a life filled with drugs. Reggie Dabbs, motivational speaker, shares his story.

Born to an unwed pregnant teenage, he was later adopted by his birth mom’s former teacher, who taught Dabbs strong moral values. Throughout his life, he was influenced by drugs, alcohol and suicide, but he stayed clean. To this day, he still has never consumed alcohol or smoked a joint.

“I thought the assembly was awesome. He made my eyes water in the first five minutes just from laughing, and he has such a talent for playing the saxophone,” Alison Greisch, junior, said. “The last time I heard Reggie speaking was in eighth grade, and all of his stories moved me so much. I think Reggie is amazing!”

Traveling across the country, Dabbs speaks to students and promotes a drug-free lifestyle. He speaks to kids in a relatable and humorous voice and shows how a life without drugs is the best way to go.

Micaela Bakman, sophomore, said, “I thought that it was a good way to mix emotions and to make you feel differently with a new perspective on life.”

Dabbs started out by getting the students of Homestead to sing along to the popular “Frozen” song “Let It Go” while he played the saxophone.

Dabbs goes on and speaks about courage and why it’s easy to turn to drugs. He then turns to his saxophone and plays “See You Again,” getting the student body involved by having them dance to “Watch me (Whip/Nae Nae)” by Silentó.

Nick Gardison, senior, danced and represented his class. “It was fun and enjoyable; he said some powerful words,” Gardison said.

Dabbs ended by playing “Problem” by Ariana Grande on his saxophone.