Olympian visits Homestead gym class

Students in Outdoor Adventure and Adaptive P.E. enjoyed listening to Sebastian Kraupp, as well as seeing an Olympic bronze medal in person.

Curling is often perceived as only to do with hair, but two Homestead gym classes learned that curling is also a sport in the Winter Olympics.

Sebastian Kraupp, an Olympic curler, spoke at the classes on Friday, Nov. 6. Kraupp, from Karlstad, Sweden, curled in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and 2014 Sochi Olympics.  Ms. Susan Godfrey, physical education teacher, said Kraupp is on an Olympic tour, and was invited to the area by the Milwaukee Curling Club. Mr. John Krueger, physical education teacher, asked Kraupp to come talk at Homestead.

Kraupp encouraged the class to try curling.  One of Homestead’s gym classes is going the Milwaukee Curling Club, located in Cedarburg.

Kraupp explained the game to the group. Each team has four players: lead, second, third and skip, who is the captain of the team.  Curling is played on a rectangular ice rink and has a target called a “house” at either end.

Players throw a stone weighing 19.1 kilograms, about 42 pounds, made of dense polished granite.  Brooms are used to affect the accuracy and speed of the stone. The object of the game is to throw the stone and get it as close to the center of the target as possible to score more points than the opponent.

Kraupp first began curling when he was in high school.  Practicing every day helped him become an Olympic curler.

In the Sochi Olympics, Kraupp won a bronze medal.  He brought the medal, so many students were able to hold it, and take pictures with Kraupp.

Kraupp’s favorite part of the Olympics were the opening and closing ceremonies because it was interesting to see all the different people and cultures coming together in one stadium.  It was one big celebration.