Emma Zander

Football players score off the field

A week off encompasses new opportunities

September 18, 2014

Homestead’s football teams brought a new meaning to the phrase “mighty highlanders” this week. Coaches of all teams realized a “free week” in their schedule may just be what the teams needed. Team bonding and community service filled up the week.

I think this is a great opportunity to show people that football is more than knocking guys around under lights. It’s about giving back to our supportive community and strengthening teamwork.

— Coach David Keel

Varsity and freshman players alike had their schedules filled to the brim.

Monday: The team attended a showing of “When the Game Stands Tall” at Marcus North Shore Cinema in Mequon.

Tuesday: Varsity players traveled to various locations in the area and performed community service. Coach Fritz Rauch expressed, “We’re going to have a great week. It’s a good opportunity to help out our team and those around us.” The team was split up by the positions they play on the field; each group contributed to a different cause.

Wednesday: Normal practice was held for all levels. Teams worked on individual drills to improve their game.

Thursday: The JV and freshman teams played the Nicolet High School Knights, whereas varsity had a normal practice followed by a team dinner. Kyle Darmody, freshman coach, confessed, “All the different opportunities will offer us chances that we do not receive in a regular structured week. It’ll be great.”

Friday: Varsity has a regular practice shorter than usual due to attending a different varsity game in the conference. Josh Mueller, junior, informed, “Friday we’re watching the Cedarburg versus Port game.”

Saturday: The varsity team is attending the Cardinal youth football game in order to support younger athletes in the program.

Although the team did not have the chance to play under the lights this week, they engaged in enriching activities that have improved themselves. Through service, bonding, and teamwork they have gained skills off the field, they can take back on to the field. The varsity team is ready for a big game next week against Cedarburg at home on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. After a week off, the Highlanders are ready to get back at it yet reflect on a week dedicated to service and camaraderie.