Underclassmen play up on varsity level

The forty-yard marker is set up at Milwaukee Lutheran High School for Homestead’s varsity football game on Thursday. Last week, Homestead lost at home against Cedarburg. Michael Fehrenbach, sophomore, said, “You get a lot more beat up from games, so you have to take care of your body afterwards.”

The blinding fluorescent lights shine brightly on the dewy, emerald field where crowds on either side gather, roaring their support. The two teams battle for another yard, colliding over and over, working for every inch.

As the two enemies duke it out, a squad of girls with their hair pulled back in a sparkly Homestead dance uniform prepare for a performance. They know that it will require intense focus. Every kick, jump, and turn will be in sync, right with the pulsing music.

This is what a varsity sports are all about, pushing oneself until one cannot they any further, and then relying on their team and your competition to drive themselves forward and using intense focus to block out the cheers, the taunts and the distractions.

Two young athletes have learned this lesson early on in their high school athletic careers. They are both on a varsity team as an underclassmen, an experience that not many athletes have. Though both of their experiences have been different, they agree that being on a varsity team is a new opportunity.

Michael Fehrenbach, sophomore, plays on Homestead’s varsity football team. He started playing for the Cardinal Football program in sixth grade as a lineman, however, he aspired to be a running back. Through the years, his coaches told him that he could not but that denial is part of what drove him to make it onto the varsity team.
Fehrenbach said, “I wanted to prove to my coaches that I could play running back because they told me I couldn’t.” Before he was even on the team, the idea of being a varsity athlete inspired Fehrenbach to make changes. He said, “I worked hard all summer.”

Coach Victor Vilar, girls cross country coach, agrees with Fehrenbach that to make a varsity team, the majority of the work comes from within. Coach Vilar said that he looks for good communication skills, dedication to getting the work done, being a teammate to the whole team and not just varsity, talent and a willingness to learn and get better when looking for a varsity athlete. Mr. David Keel, Homestead’s varsity football coach, said that he looks for, “Physical readiness, understanding of the game, athleticism, and maturity.”

As an underclassman, being on a varsity team forces you to improve in order to keep up with the more experienced players. Lily Zall, sophomore, dances on Homestead’s varsity dance team. She said that, “I have to keep up with the upperclassmen. I don’t want to let the team down.”

Both athletes agree that in order to be a successful member of any team, they have to adapt quickly to the high standard of performance that are set by their their teams. Coach Keel said, “They obtain experience rather quickly so any initial disadvantage becomes an advantage.”

Varsity athletics are intense, and you have to give 100 percent every single play and that. However, competing at an intense level inspires an athlete to make themselves better. Zall said, “I hope to improve a lot. They’re older so I want to be like them.” On varsity, as an underclassman, they are challenged, but rewarded with an experience unlike any other.

The forty-yard marker is set up at Milwaukee Lutheran High School for Homestead’s varsity football game on Thursday. Last week, Homestead lost at home against Cedarburg. Michael  Fehrenbach, sophomore, said, “You get a lot more beat up from games, so you have to take care of your body afterwards.”
The forty-yard marker is set up at Milwaukee Lutheran High School for Homestead’s varsity
football game on Thursday. Last week, Homestead lost at home against Cedarburg. Michael
Fehrenbach, sophomore, said, “You get a lot more beat up from games, so you have to take care of your body afterwards.”