North Shore schools share thoughts about Homestead

Carly Rubin

More stories from Carly Rubin

The Highlander student section goes berzerk for rollercoaster leader, Will Gebhardt, senior. The cheer has been a tradition for many years in the past. “Homestead’s school spirit amazes and makes the whole North Shore envious of them,” Carley Bruckner, Nicolet senior, revealed.

It’s 7 p.m. on a Friday night, and you find yourself engulfed in the surging sea of red and white that is the Homestead student section. The crowd is in an uproar of pride and passion just waiting to explode. Sure enough, the boys of the gridiron score a touchdown, sending the fans into a state of pure insanity. Like clockwork, the stadium erupts into, “We, we are, we are the mighty Highlanders.” But that is just Homestead’s perception, it isn’t the whole story. What about the school across the field? What do they think of “the mighty Highlanders”?

“Homestead as a whole is good at sports and has the sickest student section in the world,” Patrick Sisk, Marquette sophomore, mentioned.

Sophie Kies, University School of Milwaukee sophomore, stated. “I think it’s cool that you guys have spirit because we have none,.”

“Looking from the outside in it seems like Homestead has a strong sense of community. A majority of the people that come out of Homestead go to great universities and it sounds like they have a great education system,” Carley Bruckner, Nicolet senior, proclaimed.

“It is incredible how much spirit the Highlander student section is able to bring to every game again and again. You can really tell that the students appreciate their school,” Wilson Tarpey, Whitefish Bay sophomore, commented.

“I like the kids and I love the school spirit you guys have as a whole. For example, your football games. I think it’s so cool how you all come together and dress up and show your pride,” Ellie Berman, Nicolet freshman, professed.

“Homestead is a well-organized school, bursting with lots of spirit. The people are so friendly and the school gives off an overall positive vibe whenever I see or hear about it,” Michael Marcus, University School of Milwaukee junior, announced.

In the end, even though the tensions and banter run wild on the field, there appears to be a certain level of respect when the clock runs out and the stadium lights fade.

The Highlander student section goes berserk for rollercoaster leader, Will Gebhardt, senior. The cheer has been a tradition for many years in the past. “Homestead’s school spirit amazes and makes the whole North Shore envious of them,” Carley Bruckner, Nicolet senior, revealed.
Emma Zander