Swimming to success

Megan Hartlieb, sophomore, spends time in her second home underwater as she prepares for a future of swimming.

Dedicated. Hardworking. Talented. All true qualities of a winner. Megan Hartlieb, sophomore, has broken school records, won state titles and is exactly one second away from being eligible for the Olympic trials in her fastest event, the 50-yard freestyle.

Since a young age, Hartlieb has been a talented swimmer and has stuck with it, becoming one of the best in the state.

“Swimming is my true passion in life and it always will be. I will continue to work hard and reach my goals. Although it can be a lot of time and work, there is no better feeling than pushing yourself and having it pay off,” Hartlieb said.

She competes for Schroeder YMCA Swim Team in many events including 50 and 100 free, 200 IM and 100 and 200 back. Her fastest time is 23.77 in the 50-yard freestyle which she reached in April of 2018. These quick times have won her many titles and have caught the attention of colleges.  Harlieb had her first two unofficial college visits this year to both USC and UCLA.

“My sister is such a great athlete and so talented. She will go far if she continues to push herself. I can’t wait to see where this sport takes her,” Mark Hartlieb, Megan’s brother, said

Friend, Aya Vlasoff added: “I have only known Megan for a short period of time, but one thing that has stuck out is how she continues to be so humble after all of her accomplishments., which is such an important quality of a good athlete and person.”

During her freshman year, Harlieb made Homestead’s varsity swim team. After talking with Hartlieb club coach they decided to stick with club swim. Hartlieb intends to continue with swimming in college and see where the sport takes her.