Meet the 2020 candidates: Cory Booker
April 24, 2019
The election process has and always will be a quintessential element preserving America’s democracy. To honor this legacy and to give voice to the citizens of our nation, the electorate holds the responsibility of making educated decisions when it comes to the presidency. Studying all candidates before an election, however, can be burdensome and time-consuming. Through five-question features, this blog will allow you to stay up to date on the 2020 presidential candidates.
Cory Booker (D)
Who is he?
A senator from New Jersey and previous social-media-savvy mayor of Newark.
Why is he running?
- In order to bring a younger, more diverse, and progressive Democratic base to power.
- To advocate for issues meant to benefit communities of color and working Americans.
- “I believe that we can build a country where no one is forgotten, no one is left behind”
What are his credentials?
- Booker attended Stanford on a football scholarship, was a Rhodes Scholar, and graduated from Yale Law School.
- He got his start as a tenant organizer in Newark, eventually winning a seat on the city council and serving as mayor.
How is he different?
He is an original co-sponsor of the Equality Act to protect the rights of LGBTQ Americans
What is his platform on mainstream issues?
- Reducing income inequality through “baby bonds”
- Legalizing marijuana
- Medicare for all