Boys basketball honors teachers

Dedication, passion and inspiration are all thoughts that crossed varsity basketball players’ minds when they were asked to select an educator to honor on Teacher Appreciation Night.

Dedicated, because many of the students described their teachers as willing to help them at any time, inside and outside of the classroom. The lesson of dedication is one athletes must learn from their teachers and through experience on the court.

Passionate, because all the boys, whether directly or indirectly, characterized their educators as individuals who work fervidly to lead their students to success.

Inspiring, because that’s what the night was all about. Many seniors thanked their teachers profusely for changing their lives and consequently impacting their futures.

Mr. Kevin McKenna, head boys basketball coach, started the event one year ago in order to create greater awareness of teachers’ effects on students’ lives and giving back to the community that has supported them immensely.

T-shirt in hand, each player met his teacher at half-court as an announcer read a brief piece written by the athlete about why he selected his teacher.

Athletes and coaches hope the event will continue for years to come to remind the community how education can change students, inside and outside of the classroom.