Link Crew leads Freshman Tailgate, promoting school spirit

Hannah O'Leary

Freshmen chat among each other at the Tailgate. Prepared for the football game, this group donned their patriotic attire.

To keep the new school year going strong and to bring hoards of students to the highly anticipated football game against Germantown, Link Crew hosted the Freshman Tailgate on Friday, Sept. 11. Led by assistant principals Mr. Christopher Grey and Ms. Lori Keiser, Link Crew leaders, upperclassmen dedicated to helping incoming freshmen transition into high school, showed up decked out in red, white and blue to commemorate the theme of the game, America. Focusing on creating a stress-free and easy passage into high school, Link Crew leaders chatted with freshmen, inviting them to participate in school events such as football games.

According to many of the freshmen attendees, Link Crew events are valuable because of the bonding time with their friends and with their older mentors, who teach them what school spirit is all about. “It’s fun to hang out with friends,” Jack Keller, freshman, said. Because the entire Freshman class is assigned a Link Crew leader, they all have a fun older friend to teach them the ways of Homestead and to guide them through school events.

“I like Link Crew because my leader is awesome,” Dani Sesini, freshman, remarked.

Link Crew leaders also value the bonds they form with their groups. “Without Link Crew, I never would have gotten to know a lot of the freshmen,” Maddie Powell, senior, stated. “It’s really nice to meet more people and to know that you are helping them become more comfortable in a new environment.”

Oftentimes in high school, meeting new people can be difficult, which makes events like the Freshman Tailgate more meaningful.

Isa Rimalovsky, freshman, likes this aspect of Link Crew because it “brings everyone together.” Citing meeting new friends as something he is looking forward to this year, Dion Goodwin, freshman, enjoys going to school events like the Tailgate. Finally, attending the Tailgate had extra perks in the form of a cookout and a backstage look at the marching band’s pre-football game routine.

“Link Crew has fed me better than my family has this week,” Jared Kashou, senior, joked, referring to the delicious treats provided for everyone. Hopefully the first of many successful events to promote school spirit, Link Crew leaders are optimistic about the impact they are creating. “I love knowing that I’m making a positive difference in the school,” Jessica Kruger, senior, stated.

Freshman eagerly watch the Homestead Band warm up just minutes before the football game.
Sophie Smith
Freshmen eagerly watch the Homestead band warm up just minutes before the football game.
(From left) Meredith Clark, junior, and Simah Lewinsky, senior, add excitement to the tailgate. Dressed in their uniforms, they prepare for the varsity dance team's performance.
Hannah O’Leary
(From left) Meredith Clark, junior, and Simah Lewinsky, senior, add excitement to the tailgate. Dressed in their uniforms, they prepared for the varsity dance team’s performance.
Freshman chat amongst each other at the tailagate. Prepared for the football game, this group donned their patriotic attire.
Hannah O’Leary
Cookies, hotdogs, and chips make up part of the variety of delicious snacks provided.
Hannah O’Leary
Cookies, hotdogs and chips make up part of the variety of delicious snacks provided.
Students goof around with tires on the baseball diamond after the tailgate.
Hannah O’Leary
Students goof around with tires on the baseball diamond after the Tailgate.
The Homestead Band practices their routine in front of the tailgaters, pumping them up for the game to start.
Sophie Smith
The Homestead Band practices their routine in front of the Tailgaters, pumping them up for the start of the game.
(From left) Senior Link Crew leaders Jessica Kruger, Clare Hansen, and Jared Kashou joke around before the frehshman arrive at the tailgate. The three friends came to support their link groups and raise excitement for the game. "I love helping the freshman in my group feel more comfortable," sais Hansen.
Sophie Smith
(From left) Senior Link Crew leaders Jessica Kruger, Clare Hansen and Jared Kashou joke around before the freshmen arrive at the Tailgate. The three friends came to support their Link Crew groups and to raise excitement for the game. “I love helping the freshmen in my group feel more comfortable,” said Hansen.
Link Crew leaders, freshmen, and homestead band members share the field during the tailgate.
Sophie Smith
Link Crew leaders, freshmen and Homestead band members share the field during the tailgate.