Meet the 2020 candidates: Kamala Harris
May 8, 2019
The election process has and always will be a quintessential element preserving America’s democracy. To honor this legacy and to give voice to the citizens of our nation, the electorate holds the responsibility of making educated decisions when it comes to the presidency. Studying all candidates before an election, however, can be burdensome and time-consuming. Through five-question features, this blog will allow you to stay up to date on the 2020 presidential candidates.
Kamala Harris (D)
Who is she?
A first-term senator from California and, previously, the state’s attorney general.
Why is she running?
- Harris believes she will check a range of boxes for Democratic voters.
- As a self-described “progressive prosecutor,” Harris wants to raise incomes for working people.
What are her credentials?
- After studying political science and economics at Howard University, Harris earned a law degree from Hastings College.
- She was the first Indian American to serve as a U.S. senator as well as the second African American woman.
- Harris was the first woman to serve as attorney general of the state of California.
How is she different?
Harris is a lifelong public safety and civil rights leader.
What is her platform on mainstream issues?
- Harris believes in free tuition at four-year public colleges for most Americans.
- She wants to re-examine ICE while supporting DACA and opposing a border wall.
- Harris wants to ban assault weapons and the sale of high-capacity magazines.
- She wants universal, government-run health care, or “Medicare for all.”