Emma Zander

Speaker shares insights on African life

Dina Nyarko shares Ghanaian culture with students

March 14, 2015

American Field Service (AFS) and the Mequon-Thiensville Rotary Club hosted Dina Nyarko, an AFS Ambassador, to speak to interested students on March 13, 2015. Approximately twenty students gathered in the small cafeteria after school to listen to Nyarko’s stories about African society and beliefs.

Throughout the open discussion, Nyarko compared American society and Ghanaian society. According to Nyarko, education in Ghana is valuable and averages $500 a year. The average annual household income in Ghana is $2,000; a family’s decision to spend their money on education is consequential for children. Nyarko explained that students in Ghana are required by the Ministry of Education to cut their hair short in order to focus on their studies. Children are not permitted to wear hair clips, headbands, dangly earrings or loud bracelets to school due to national school dress codes.

After weeks of preparing for and finally executing exams, Homestead High School students have started a new trimester. In Ghana, students take “exams” lasting a week in order to qualify for higher education. The tests are written and cover science, math, history and language. If a child were to cheat on the assessments, the entire room of students could have their tests invalidated. Nonetheless, education is greatly valued in Ghanaian society.”Some of the school kids have to swim to the other side of the river just to taste education.” Nyarko said.

Some students attending the discussion felt enlightened by Nyarko’s stories and experiences. “I found it very interesting to compare our daily school routine here at Homestead to one in a one-room schoolhouse in Ghana and hear about the differing attitudes towards education; I feel sometimes we take school for granted, even though we are at such a fantastic high school with so many opportunities. In Ghana, Dina said kids risk their lives daily and walk for hours just to ‘get a taste of education,'” Ansley Laev, sophomore, said. Students were encouraged to share American culture by Nyarko; she stated it was a learning process for her too. “It was a great opportunity for us as students to get a taste for the rich and diverse cultures of the world. Sharing questions with Dina and embracing her culture with her was rewarding for all of us,” Sam Faber, senior, said.

“What are some of the pictures or stereotypes you have of Ghanaians or Africans?” Nyarko asked. Several students offered images of poor villages and malnourished children. Nyarko smiled; she explained that although parts of Africa suffer from unfortunate circumstances, much of Africa contains perfectly functioning societies. Nyarko continued by offering stereotypes Ghanaians have about America. “We think that you guys are rich. America is like heaven, where there is milk flowing and on the streets there are many dollars that you can pick from,” Nyarko said.

In discussing the contrast between the two societies, Nyarko addressed parts of American culture she found to be strange. “The food, how people are so individualistic, people speak very loudly and how you treat pets,” Nyarko said. She explained that in Ghana, an animal is known as an “it.” Nobody possesses a household pet and no animals are treated as such. She continued by explaining that people speak softly in Ghana, especially with elders, while in America, someone’s voice can fill an entire room.

After a storm of questions, the speaker shared valuable advice. “Take opportunity, take advantage of all the facilities that you have in this school,” Nyarko said. “I know you have the basketball field, you have so many facilities that these kids do not have. So make good use of all the facilities you have here, because some people have to walk two hours, two kilometers with all their books and everything on their backs.”