Freshman Friday: Sydney Wilson

Wilson competes for titles at a snowboarding event.

Submitted Photo

Every Friday, Highlander Publications chooses a freshman to be featured in “Freshman Friday,” giving the student population the opportunity to get to know its freshman class. Read below to learn about this week’s freshman, Sydney Wilson.

“I started snowboarding regularly when I was about three. I started snowboarding competitively when I was five.

My dad, who is a competitive snowboarding coach, is one of the reasons why I started. When I was little my parents put me in ski school. My older sister, Katie, is a competitive snowboarder. She graduated a couple years ago from Homestead, and she is also one of the reasons why I started. As soon as I saw Katie on a snowboard, I sat down and refused to ski. I wanted to learn to ride; I wanted to be just like her.

I do competitive snowboarding because I love to go fast and see how I am against other riders. I am a five-time National Champion. My sister is competing in the World Cup, and one day, I would love to compete with her side by side.

The best part is that we do it that we do this as a family. Whether we are in Colorado or China, we are always together. In 2015, my sister was on the Junior World’s team and we got to go to China to see her compete. I’m pretty lucky, I don’t know of anyone my age who can say they have been snowboarding in China!

The worst part of competitive snowboarding is that sometimes people don’t see me as an athlete. Some people don’t think my sport is a real sport, and so I’m not always taken seriously.

I would love to continue to snowboarding past high school. I would really love to follow my sister’s path. Some colleges have competitive snowboard teams. But, I would rather train at an academy like Carrabassett Valley Academy in Maine and compete in high level events. I want to follow my dream of competing in the X Games and Olympics.”