Waszkiewics and ski teammates pose for a photo in the lodge during a race.

Freshman Friday: Waszkiewics surfs through high school

February 12, 2016

Every Friday, Highlander Publications chooses a freshman to be featured in “Freshman Friday,” giving the student population the opportunity to get to know its freshman class. Read below to learn about this week’s freshman, Isabel Waszkiewics.

What sports do you play?

Currently I ski, surf, run cross country, I am getting back into horseback riding this winter hopefully and I play tennis during my free time. I started skiing when I was young, around four years old I went on my first ski trip. I took up surfing about a year or two ago, and I absolutely love it. I do it everytime we go on vacation which is at least twice a year. I just started to run on cross country this year, and hope to make varsity next fall. I began horseback riding back when I lived in Michigan. I was around six or seven when I started horseback riding camps and lessons came soon after. I also fell in love with that. I swam every year since I was 4 up until this year when I quit because I wanted to focus on other sports and school. My dad taught me tennis, and later I took a few lessons. Oh, and I started snowboarding about two years ago in Canada. I’m not good but I get better each time I practice. That pretty much sums up my main sports.

Which of those sports is your favorite to participate in?

My favorite would definitely be either surfing or cross country. I love surfing because everyone is super relaxed and life jut seems so good in those moments you catch a wave. The feeling is amazing. I also love cross country because it’s more of an individual run but a team sport. Everyone works together and helps each other, and I love to run. Especially during the fall season when the leaves fall and we run wood loops. Everyone who knew me on cross country knew I loved wood loops. If I had to choose one to do for the rest of my life though, it would be surfing for sure. I love the ocean and anything involving water so surfing really gets me excited.

Where do you surf?

Well, it depends on where we go for vacation. Most recently I surfed in Cozumel, Mexico on a rural beach over winter break. I surf really wherever I can rent a board, where there are other surfers and where there are good waves.

Do you have any siblings?

Sadly, no. I’m the only child. I don’t really like it because sometimes it gets pretty boring.

Do you have any pets?

Yes, I have one dog. We adopted him from the Humane Society about three years ago. His name is Amor. He is about nine and a half years old now and he is a cockapoo and something mix, we aren’t really sure.

If you could be a sandwich, what type would you be?

Well since I can’t have cheese because of my dairy allergy, I would put a lot of provolone cheese on it. I would also put swiss cheese, ham, salami, lettuce, onion and then cucumber on the side. I don’t really know what type of sandwich that would be, I don’t really eat a lot of sandwiches.

If you could fill an empty pool with anything, what would you fill it with?

I think I would fill it with lemon jello, my favorite flavor. And I would put a bunch of gummy bears in the jello.

What has been your favorite thing about high school so far?

So far, my favorite thing would be probably the feeling of independence and responsibility.

What are you looking forward to most in the next three and a half years of high school?

I am really looking forward to sports such as cross country, track and ski team. Also, I am looking forward to making friendships with people that will hopefully last through college. I also hope to achieve academic success.

Comments (0)

All The Highlander Online Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *