Gouverneur poses for a picture of him in Chicago.

Submitted Photo

Gouverner enjoys his time at Homestead

“In my free time, my favorite thing to do is listen to and read about music. Keeping up with my favorite artists is always intriguing and fun. Listening to new music is a great way to have a good time through just relaxing. I also love playing video games, watching Netflix and keeping up with the news.

I used to do Forensics during my freshman and sophomore year. The best part of forensics was how greatly it improved my public speaking ability, and general speech skills, which I value highly now. The worst part was how tedious it was: every change to the piece was always so slight and precise. Frankly, it was stressful. I stopped forensics my sophomore year since that is when swimming became a priority for me.

I have also been on the swim team since sophomore year. I have enjoyed being a part of the Jugmen. I started swimming after a recommendation from one of my friends, and I haven’t looked back since.

The best part of being a Homestead swimmer is representing the Jug. The Jug is a way of life very few actually understand, but those who do understand it, consider themselves enlightened. The worst part about being on the swim team is having to get up really early on weekends to get in a freezing cold pool to swim for hours, especially when your warm bed is still calling your name.

My favorite story from swimming is probably from the first time I shaved my head for swim team. It was my sophomore year. After practice, and after my hair had been dyed purple, one of the seniors decided to give me an ‘old man’ haircut. They cut off the front part and top of my hair. The looks and laughs I got from it were unforgettable.

This year I am so excited to do it all again, as there is nothing more fun than looking like an idiot with all of your friends.

Unfortunately, this will probably be my last year of competitive swimming. Due to the extreme dedication required, and also the fact that I’m just not good enough, I will not be pursuing it at the college level.” (Nick Gouverneur, senior)

Comments (0)

All The Highlander Online Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *