Anxiety: A modern epidemic

April 20, 2017

Stigmatizing mental illness has become ingrained in our colloquial language.

“Don’t be so OCD.”

“You’re acting mental.”

“I’m gonna kill myself.”

In establishing these phrases, and those of a similar nature, into daily conversations, society has set a norm of diminishing the perceived gravity of issues surrounding mental illness. Many people throw these labels and references out freely, most never stopping to consider the truly detrimental nature of their words.

As more and more cases of anxiety in high school students evolve into anxiety disorders, it is crucial that this condemnation is combatted. There is an epidemic gravely affecting our nation’s youth, and Homestead students are no exception.

According to the American Psychological Association, “anxiety is an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes.” Such changes include, “sweating, trembling, dizziness or a rapid heartbeat.”

The truth of the matter is that almost all people have experienced or will experience anxiety at some point in their lifetime. Anxiety comes naturally with developmental changes. Namely for high school students, these include graduating, going to college and establishing adult relationships.

There is a significant distinction to be made between natural anxiety and anxiety disorders, however. To put it simply, anxiety disorders pass the threshold of when anxiety becomes consuming.

In a more figurative sense, Mr. William Woessner, school psychologist, describes the experience as “your brain thinking there is a tiger in the room or thinking you are drowning. You are panicking, fearful of something that is not there, but your body is reacting as if it were.”  

When this occurs, the brain switches into fight-or-flight mode, also known as hyperarousal. Essentially, the brain believes there is an existential threat which causes it to release adrenaline, increase heart rate and deepen the body’s breathing. In this state, the brain becomes preoccupied with the false notion that it is in danger. In other words, there is no time to think, for “thinking gets you killed,” according to Woessner.

This can make things pretty challenging in a classroom setting.

“Naturally, my anxiety makes it difficult for me to make the best grades I can. Anxiety makes it so that you’re consistently infused with negative thoughts, stress and a fear of failure,” one senior* testified.

This “fear of failure” has become prevalent amongst high school students. Attending a high school known for high-achieving students in all realms can present many external and internal pressures for one to succeed. Whether it is an acceptance into a top university, a lead role in the play or an ‘A’ on a physics test, we as students are universally connected by our unique wants in life.

Looking through the lens of anxiety, however, these wants appear as needs. “As a society, we have created a climate for students in which every decision they make can feel as though it could change the trajectory of their lives,” Principal Brett Bowers affirmed. As a result, this initiates a detrimental domino effect where students’ thinking processes look a little like this: “If I do not get a good grade on this one test, I might not get into the college of my choice, which means that I might not get my ideal job, which means that I might not have a good life,” Bowers said.

The harrowing truth is that this is not uncommon. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, “anxiety disorders affect one in eight children.” But these students are not just at a high risk to perform poorly in school, they are also more likely to “miss out on important social experiences and engage in substance abuse.”

Though anxiety disorders are highly treatable, “only about one-third of those suffering receive treatment,” the ADAA reported. When anxiety and anxiety disorders go untreated, they can often carry over into one’s next stage of life. In terms of high school students, this evidently means college.

In a national survey conducted by the American College Health Association, “nearly one in six college students has been diagnosed with or treated for anxiety.” And in fact, “more than half of students visiting campus clinics cite anxiety as a health concern,” according to a recent study of more than 100,000 students nationwide by the Center for Collegiate Mental Health at Penn State.

These statistics are staggering.

When considering the immense number of teens and young adults suffering from mental illnesses, it is alarming that there is still a societal stigma associated with it. Because of this, schools and other institutions have been encouraged to “start the conversation,” or in other words, create an environment where students feel safe to open up about their struggles.

In the senior’s case, “what helped the most was a visit to my doctor who recommended a course for a better way of coping. I also informed all of my teachers and explained my anxiety’s triggers. They really helped and understood.”

This senior is just one of many: more and more students are finding themselves in similar situations. When 100 Homestead students were asked where they felt the most anxiety, 41 answered “school,” the most of any category. 

Survey results from 100 Homestead students.

Therefore, as of next year, Homestead, along with its extensive group of full-time guidance counselors and full-time psychologist, will be adding a full-time social worker back on faculty. “I don’t know a school our size that has as much staffing for Student Services as we have here. With that said, there is more that we can do. As a district, we continue to investigate programming and intervention options for students and families who are struggling with mental health issues,” Bowers said.

In fact, there is currently a district-wide initiative to “address the social and emotional well-being of students. Plans for implementation of how that’s going to be done is currently in the works,” Woessner said. This plan, according to Woessner, will work to promote cohesiveness among the district’s five schools with regards to how they approach the matter of mental illness.

Though the district is taking substantial measures to handle this issue, there is always more that can be done. Mental illness is a complex topic many people still misunderstand.

Despite grappling with the strife and the unknown, however, know this: you are not alone.

If you think you may have anxiety, consider seeking out help from a physician, school social worker, family member or friend.

*Name has been withheld due to sensitivity of topic