I’ve lost four teachers in the past two months

Caitlin+Geurts%2C+senior%2C+bangs+her+head+on+her+desk+contemplating+the+loss+of+her+teachers+this+trimester.+
Caitlin Geurts, senior, bangs her head on her desk contemplating the loss of her teachers this trimester.

Maybe it is just circumstance that I happened to have two of the teachers with drama encircling their names this trimester. Maybe it’s just my unfortunate luck, but regardless I am mad.

Beginning with absence of math teacher Ms. Marina Kostuch in October, I was a bit stressed out, as were the other students who had her. There was not much, if any, information shared with the students on why our teacher was gone for a week. We were cycled through several different subs who had no inclination of what was going on and no way to teach us. For a few days we were lucky enough to have math specialist Mr. Drake Zortman help us finish the week. Imagine our surprise when we walked into Ms. Kostuch’s room on a Monday to see all of her succulents that occupied the window, posters that clung to the walls and the tapestry that hung over her desk, missing. 

We then had Mrs.Cook, a short term sub, for about a week. During this time, Principal Bowers explained to us that Ms. Kostuch had turned in her letter of resignation and that they were going to hire someone by that Monday (he told us this on a Thursday). He was confident in his ability to find an effective long-term sub to see us through the rest of the trimester. That Friday we were introduced to Mrs. D, who was said to be with us for the rest of the trimester.

Amidst the chaos that then ensued with the acclimation to a new math teacher, my acting teacher, Ms. Amelia Figg-Franzoi was missing for around a week or two. The worst part of her being gone was that our class was preparing to compete in a state one act competition, without a director or teacher to lead us. Accompanying that were rumors and gossip that clung to her name. The students quickly discovered what was happening and decided to fight for her. 

After the realization that Figg was not coming back anytime soon, I was met with a note left on the board in my math class by my new math teacher (well, former math teacher). “Hello everyone, I’m sorry I couldn’t say goodbye to you. I want you to know that it was nice meeting you all! Good luck with your exams and with all your future plans. I wish you all the best! Until we meet again, Mrs. D.” The fact that we never even learned her full last name shows you how well we got to know her. 

So Mr. Brent Manor was ushered in to see us through the rest of the trimester and get us through exams (sound familiar?). Math is hard enough for me (and most other kids), let alone when I have five different people teaching me different ways to do it. So after being hit with the realization that another one of my teachers left, I go home that night to later find out that Figg-Franzoi was coming back to school the next day.

At this point I am beyond stressed out. Due to having GAD (general anxiety disorder), I have learned to deal with new situations and the anxiety that comes with being enrolled at Homestead High School, but this was an extreme case for me. Most of my nights these past few weeks have been spent crying over the stress and confusion that accompanies my classwork and missing teachers.

I am by no means trying to complain or throw myself a pity party. I am trying to pose the question: Why is this happening? I am very disappointed about the way these situations have been handled — let’s just hope life can stay status quo with exams just four school days away.

1 Comment

One Response to “I’ve lost four teachers in the past two months”

1. Amy Gigure on November 23rd, 2017 6:06 pm

The reason this is happening is that teachers are no longer respected and allowed to teach the way they know how. I hope things will change. All I ever wanted to be was a really good teacher. It’s very difficult now.

[Reply]

• I’ve lost four teachers in the past two months

Blogs

Living with anxiety

• Blogs

I tried the internet fad ‘Baby Foot’ and was blown away

Blogs

Living with Anxiety

Local

Breaking news: AP Physics test re-scored due to cheating

Breaking News: Drug search places school on administrative hold

Blogs

Living with Anxiety

One Act sweeps state

Drama teacher reinstated

Students protest absence of drama teacher

Hockey players open season with team bonding rituals