NHS Induction highlights the best in students

March 20, 2018

After pledging allegiance to our nation’s flag, students and their respective family members and/or academic instructors commemorated this year’s National Honors Society (NHS) inductees. NHS is a nationwide organization for high schoolers with the goal of recognizing outstanding student performance.

This school year, 147 juniors attended the yearly National Honor Society Induction Ceremony on March 19. In addition to being on honor roll, high schoolers must also qualify through the academic sectors of scholarship, leadership, character and service. Achieving these four pillars has been historically essential in order to be part of the organization.

In addition to congratulating students, this exclusive team also recognizes schools in charge of educating these individuals. Principal Brett Bowers believes that the induction is a celebration of who Homestead is and what the future of success beholds. “These outstanding juniors become our senior leaders and really set the tone for the school every year,” Bowers said.

The induction ceremony is also held with great importance among the officers who lead the institution at Homestead. Lindsey Bjornstad, senior officer, describes her passion as a senior leader: “NHS demands another level of service. I later understood this was an unique  opportunity of leadership… there are a lot of behind the scenes administrative things, but the organization is still fun and interesting.”

Lastly, the induction serves as an honorable ceremony for those who qualified to be part of NHS. Students are further able to understand their potentials inside and out of the classroom. Cameron Blackwell, junior inductee, explains how NHS impacted his self-reflection: “After being inducted, I realized many of the important aspects of my life are finally being recognized. This encourages me to continue being a great classmate and leader.”

As a final note, the National Honor Society Induction has demonstrated to be an important Homestead tradition which does a brilliant job of highlighting student achievement.