Students frequently use the Common Application to apply to different universities.

10 ways to deal with the stress of college applications

September 17, 2015

Yet another responsibility has come into the hands of  high school seniors: applying for college. With all the stress and planning that comes along with filling out college applications, most students would agree that some stress relievers are necessary. Here are some tips from students on how to deal with the stress of filling out college applications and getting into college.

1. Avoid working on your college applications by curling up with your pet and watching your favorite T.V. show. 

“’Grey’s Anatomy’ or college applications? I think we all know what the right answer is here,” -Kelly Eyers, senior

2. Take your stress out on the wall instead of getting anything done.

“Sometimes I just punch a wall and it gets rid of my stress,” -Chris Malicky, senior

3. Go on Colectivo dates with your computer and attempt to finish your college essays while sipping some coffee.

“I spelled the word ‘calculus’ wrong on two college applications,” -Daniel Zvi, senior

4. Grab some Ben & Jerry’s to help you fill out the bubbles determining your future.

“I grab a box of tissues, just in case, and hop on over to the computer for three hours, hoping to build my future on an array of test scores, personal statements and endless questions,” -Sam James, senior

5. Go on college visits; touring your top choices will help narrow down your decision.

“It’s a major contender if you don’t need a filter when you take a picture of the university,” -Ryan Baranko, senior

6. Take a break when you need one.

“Sometimes it’s just necessary to stop and watch some Netflix for a while so that you don’t get too overwhelmed,” -Tessa Gebhardt, senior

7. Don’t procrastinate until the night before the deadline or you will have a nervous breakdown.

“Waiting until the last minute is like solving Sudoku; you think you have it right and then everything goes wrong,” -Mitch Lauenstein, senior

8. Buy some chocolate to sweeten up the bitter process.

“Always having a Hershey bar on hand could at least help make applying a little bit easier,” -Brooks Ralph, senior

9. Go on a run (or run away from the stress of applying).

“I would rather run eight miles in 90 degree heat than write my college applications… Unfortunately, I have to do both,” -Anna Keller, senior

10. Finally sit down and finish up the rest of your applications, relieving all of your stress until the next part of the college process comes along.

“When you finally submit that last application, you feel that huge weight come off your shoulders and that’s when you know that soon it will be worth it,” -Peter Bersch, senior