Homestead welcomes new teachers

September 29, 2015

For the 2015-2016 school year, Homestead welcomed nine new teachers to the building. Read below to learn about a four of the newest additions to the Homestead community.

Ms. Victoria Bunchek, science teacher

Where can a student find you?

In Classroom 106.

What classes do you teach?

Regular Chemistry, AP Chemistry and Regular Biology.

What are your goals for this school year?

My goals for this school year are to learn about the culture and expectations here at Homestead, and to continuously improve each class so that there is consistent levels of challenge and opportunity for growth in every class.

If you couldn’t be a teacher, what other career would you pursue?

If I were not a teacher, I would consider being a chemical engineer.

What is your favorite family tradition?

My parents are from Germany, so my favorite tradition is baking German Christmas cookies with my omi (grandma).

Why Homestead?

I chose to work here because of the wonderful things I had heard about the students and staff in this district, as well as the high standards here.

What are your classroom philosophies?

My philosophy is that you can do it if you apply yourself and ask for help.

Ms. Sara Kamoske, math teacher

1010317Where can a student find you?

In Classroom 502.

What classes do you teach?

Geometry, Algebra 2 and precalculus.

My goals are to build a positive learning environment for all students and to get to know all of my wonderful Mighty Highlanders!

I would love to use my applied mathematics degree to build better programs for the medical field, like aiding cardiologists in locating heart blockages and other issues before they put their patients under the knife. I couldn’t get away from math even if I tried.

What is your favorite family tradition?

Christmas! I have a very German family, and we always get together, sing songs in English and German and have “Kaffee und Kuchen” afterward.

Why Homestead?

I get to work in the best district in the state, with the best staff and students in the state, and I get to live close to many of my loved ones. Here’s a better question: why WOULDN’T I choose Homestead?

What are your classroom philosophies?

Hard work plus support equals success. In other words, if you work hard in my classroom and accept the support I offer you, you WILL succeed.

Ms. Beth Larson, special education teacher

Where can a student find you?

In Classroom 309.

What classes do you teach?

I co-teach English 9 and Study Skills.

I have many. One of them is to get to know my students and help them be as successful as they can.

If I were not a teacher, I would be a game show host. One of my personal goals is to be a contestant on a gameshow someday!

What is your favorite family tradition?

I used to spend a week at my aunt’s house in Minnesota when I was younger. She lives on a lake, and it was fun to go boating and swimming there.  Now that I have a son and another baby on the way, I have started that tradition for my family. My son had a blast this past summer!

Why Homestead?

I grew up in Glendale and attended Nicolet High School. I played a lot of sports, and Homestead was our big rival back then. I loved coming here and seeing the school spirit. I love the sense of community here. I really respect and believe in the missions of the Mequon-Thiensville School District.  

What are your classroom philosophies?

One of my philosophies is that all students can learn. It is my job to help ALL of my students find out which ways they learn best and to build upon them.  

Ms. Yongyan Liu, Chinese teacher

faculty51170_3

Where can a student find you?

In Classroom 303.

What classes do you teach?

Chinese 1, 2 and 3.

This school year, I want to improve my teaching skills as a new teacher and to further construct the Chinese program by fostering genuine interest in the language and culture.

If I couldn’t be a teacher, I would like to be a translator for educational policy research.

What is your favorite family tradition?

Family reunions during Chinese New Year.

Why Homestead?

I like the culture. Teachers, as well as students, are respected and valued. Homestead also has a culture of high-achieving students.

What are your classroom philosophies?

I want to teach Chinese in a “realistic” way and to coach students to eventually be able to learn by themselves.

Stay tuned to learn about the remaining five new teachers at Homestead.

Comments (0)

All The Highlander Online Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *