Interact saves Homecoming one pie at a time

Homecoming week is a week of dress-up days, decorations and spirited students. The school week ends with an annual pep rally filled with activities involving students and teachers. This year, Interact came up with a fundraiser called Pennies for Pies.

Interact is a completely student-led organization headed by current president Allison Rowe, junior. Rowe said, “The idea for our Pennies for Pies project came from a series of brainstorming sessions we had as a group at the beginning of the school year. We wanted to come up with a fun and relatively easy way to raise money.”

Pennies For Pies involved 12 teachers who signed up to possibly receive a pie in their face at the pep rally on Friday, Oct. 10. Two teachers in each department competed against each other. During the week of Homecoming, teachers tried to raise money for their competitor to get a pie in their face. “We combined the general idea of a penny war (but without all the rules) with a head-to-head competition between teachers,” Rowe continued, “That way we hoped to make the teachers and students more competitive and raise more money.”

As the pep rally approached, Mr. James Mehls had raised the most money, $46.03, that would go into Mr. Scott Heibler getting a pie in his face. However, the day of the assembly Mr. Heibler was not able to attend. There was also another twist because Mr. Steve Manor was supposed to “pie” Mrs. Jennifer Zortman but they decided to switch roles. Mrs. Zortman said, “Mr. Manor was a really good sport about his willingness to take the pie in his face so I didn’t have to.”

The loud crowd and excited freshmen for their first homecoming made the pep rally quite eventful. The pie smashing showcase came quickly and six teachers got a pie to the face. Those teachers included Mr. Manor, Ms. Amelia Figg-Franzoi, Señora Allison Lauber de Garza, Mr. Tony Engle, Mr. Jared Daigle and Mr. Mehls.

There was also another surprise… Mr. Bowers joined in the action because the student body surpassed its $500 goal, raising $523.67. The money raised was donated to Family Promise of Ozaukee, an organization that helps support homeless and struggling families in Ozaukee County.
The whole pep rally was “a lot of work,” Rowe said, “but thanks to the help of all our members who made posters, decorated collection bins, bought the supplies, counted the money, helped set up for the pep rally, and more, this event was a huge success.”

Ms. Amelia Figg-Franzoi was pied for the first time at the homecoming pep rally. Ms. Figg-Franzoi signed up when the fundraiser started in hopes to pie her competitor. Ms. Figg-Franzoi said, “I have never been pied in the face before in my life so thank you Mr. Dimmer for giving me two pies at once.”
Ms. Amelia Figg-Franzoi was pied for the first time at the Homecoming pep rally. Ms. Figg-Franzoi signed up when the fundraiser started in hopes to pie her competitor. Ms. Figg-Franzoi said, “I have never been pied in the face before in my life so thank you, Mr. Dimmer, for giving me two pies at once.”