Tech Week: The Final Performance

Alice in Wonderland, a production by Homestead High School’s Drama Club, commenced tech week starting on Thursday, Oct. 9.

Miss Amelia Figg-Franzoi, drama teacher and director, said, “Tech week is the last week before a show opens and includes all elements of the show.” It’s a time for the cast and crew to put the final touches on the show before opening night.

Both cast and crew stay as late as 9 p.m. to bring the show together. Alex Gieske, a senior who plays The Mad Hatter, said, “Tech week is when all of the technical elements intertwine with the actors, and the show starts to take shape. The point of tech is to bring the two groups into harmony with each other to have one coherent show.”

Despite long hours, the cast and crew agree that the effort is worth it. Gieske said, “My favorite part of tech week is the sheer amount of time that I get to spend in the theatre and with my fellow castmates.” Kristina Smeshko, sophomore, said that, “It take a lot of hours, but in the end it’s worth it.”

Behind the scenes, the costume crew finished the card costumes while the stage crew perfects set placement. The makeup crew assembled to apply the colorful makeup and make the show realistic. Becca Chavin, sophomore, said, “It’s actually really stressful, and I only put makeup on people.”

The show opened on Friday night at 7:30, during which the cast and crew were able to see the full show. Miss Figg-Franzoi said, “Traditionally the first time we run the show fully through without stopping is opening night. The first time the audience sees the show is the first time we do as well.”

Jenna Buraczewski, sophomore, writes notes to herself on a checklist for the costume crew working on Homestead’s original production of Alice in Wonderland. This year, Buraczewski was promoted to costume shop supervisor. Buraczewski said, “It’s chaos.You hate everyone around you but love them at the same time.”