Every drop counts: Homestead hosts annual blood drive

Emma Zander

Abigail Passey, sophomore, holds a friend’s hand for comfort during the blood drive.

Who knew that saving three lives could come with getting out of class and free food? As the American Red Cross states, about every two seconds someone in the U.S. is in need of blood and more than 41,000 blood donations are needed daily. For the 1.6 million people diagnosed with cancer last year, most will need blood frequently, if not daily, throughout their chemotherapy treatment.

Homestead‘s Student Council has been running a blood drive for years, with each one being more successful than the last. This year, 134 students, staff and parents took time to donate blood on Friday May 20. “Student Council loves planning the drive every year because it truly shows how Homestead students have the power to change lives,” Sarah McCarthy, senior and student council president, said.

Holly Dooge and Shefali Mukerji, sophomores. snack on foods provided by Student Council after they donated.

Because donating blood can take a major toll on a person, one must meet eligibility requirements regarding weight and height correlation. For example, a younger female that is 5 feet inch must weigh at least 133 pounds. More examples can be found here. It is vital to follow these guidelines in order to ensure donor safety.

The process starts with an examination that includes questions about a person’s health and recent travel destinations. The examination ensures that the blood taken is safe to give to those in need. The actual blood drawing varies for each person, but averages to about six to ten minutes. The most important part of the process is resting, in which people regain their strength by staying hydrated and eating iron-rich foods. “The donor gives up a love of sugar and water in their blood. It’s important to refuel on those two things through sweet food and lots to drink. Who doesn’t want to sit around, eat doughnuts and drink juice after saving three lives?” Matt Gresham, junior and Student Council treasurer said.