Freshman Friday

Smith sprints her way through freshman year

Freshman+Friday

Every Friday, Highlander Publications chooses a freshman to be featured in “Freshman Friday,” giving the student population the opportunity to get to know its freshman class. Read below to learn about this week’s freshman, Emma Smith.

What middle school did you go to?

Lake Shore.

Do you have any siblings?

Yes, I have a sister, Sophie. She is a senior.

What are you looking forward to the most in high school?

What I’m looking forward to the most is choosing my classes because I can choose ones that I’m interested in and ones that are at my level. Also, I want to go to prom when I’m a junior and senior.

Who’s your role model?

I have a lot of role models, but one would be my sister, Sophie, because she tries her hardest at everything she does. We participate in many of the same things, like cross country and GEMS, and we enjoy similar things, like music, cooking, having fun and running. She pushes me to be an awesome person overall!

What was your favorite vacation?

My favorite vacation was either Boston, Mass., or San Francisco, Calif. Both are big cities, which I love, and we walked around a lot, which was very fun.

Why did you decide to run cross country?

I decided to join cross country for many reasons. I started cross country in sixth grade and did it throughout middle school, loving every part. I wanted to continue the fun! Also, my sister always told me how fun it was in high school. In addition, every girl in cross country is so sweet and amazing. We form a family.  It’s a great way to meet new people/friends.

If you could be a sandwich, what kind would you be?

If I was a sandwich, I would be either a pb&j, because it’s simple and sweet, or Colectivo Coffee’s “Garden Harvest,” because it’s fresh and delish!

What is the best part of high school so far?  

The best part of high school so far is having longer class times since I can actually get work done and have enough time for tests! Also, the atmosphere is different and feels more “natural,” unlike middle school.