Highlander Publications holds first ‘Open Lab Night’

Mrs. Rachel Rauch

Molly Riebau, senior, helps a younger student with design. Riebau taught the basics of creating an infographic.

Highlander Publications hosted an Open Lab Night on Thursday, Nov. 19 to teach younger students and interested parents more about what happens within room 405. Inside the lab, three different publications are produced: the Tartan Yearbook, The Highlander newsmagazine and the website. The skills of photography, design and multimedia are used on a daily basis.

Open lab started at 7 p.m. and ended at 8 p.m. A handful of kids stopped by to gather insight about Publications and what it is like to be a journalist. “By having these open lab nights, I think it will help expand our program even more as younger students can establish an interest earlier on,” Talia Gottlieb, junior said. “This class has helped me gather invaluable skills, so I would recommend it to anyone.”

From photography to infographics, staffers and editors taught different subjects to those who visited. Those who attended were able to choose between design, photography and multimedia. Once a topic was picked, students were able to have a hands-on experience with guidance from a Publications student.

“I was in charge of teaching the design elements to the kids. The students seemed to be into it and I hope I helped them learn something new,” Molly Riebau, senior, said.

The staffers included Riebau, Emma Wade and Madina Jenks, seniors, Sydney Crivello, junior, and Sasha Milbeck, sophomore. Each high school student taught what they specialize in. “I was there to teach photography because everyone is always taking pictures nowadays, I think it’s an important skill to have,” Crivello said.

Highlander Publications will host another Open Lab Night on Dec. 10 from 7-8 p.m. “I encourage people to come and see what Publications is like. These skills are great to have and on top of that, it’s a fun class,” Wade said.