Seven teachers to ‘graduate’ with mixed emotions

Molly Riebau

Mrs. Anna Mae Grimm, social studies teacher, retired this year after years of inspiring students at Homestead High School.

“I have been firm in my belief that I am not retiring,” Ms. Susan Lueders, government teacher, said. “I am graduating.”

Along with the approximately 300 seniors who will graduate from Homestead in June, several teachers, including Ms. Lueders, Mrs. Kristi Ribar, math teacher, Mr. Dave Markson, counsellor, Mr. Richard Hubbell, science teacher, Sra. Helen Caldwell, Spanish teacher, Mrs. Rebecca Winnie, choir teacher, and Mrs. Anna Mae Grimm, social studies teacher, will “graduate” as well, moving on to new chapters in their lives for various reasons. Check out a Q and A with five of the seven retiring teachers who responded to our questions below.

How many years have you been teaching, both at Homestead and overall?

Mrs. Ribar: I have taught for over 34.5 years in two different high schools. I have taught at Homestead for 21 years.

Mr. Markson: Fifteen at Homestead, 25 overall.

Mr. Hubbell: Twenty one years at Homestead, 28 years overall.

Ms. Lueders: Twenty-six at Homestead, 26 years overall.

Mrs. Caldwell: Over 33 years teaching Spanish–22 in this district, with 15 at Homestead and seven split between Lakeshore and Steffen.

What made you decide now was your time to leave?

Mrs. Ribar: My health.

Mr. Markson: While I really enjoy my job, I feel like the time is excellent for me to move on and pursue some other interests. I currently work as a coach which I will continue to do. I work part time with the statistics people with the Milwaukee Bucks, which I will also continue. I plan to look into some other part-time things as well.  I am not sure yet what they will be; that is one of the exciting things about retirement. I am open to many things inside or outside of education.

Ms. Lueders: I decided to “graduate” because I would like to move forward and do other things in my life. I would like some time to get to know my home and yard better. I want to take classes and continue learning, I wish to adhere to a weekly LAF (Learning, Adventure, Fun) day, which is my version of a short field trip, [and] eventually, I would like to build a new home and move out of state to a warmer climate.

Mr. Hubbell: Not feeling valued. The current salary system is very unfair. It’s not something that I want to participate in, where some teachers are paid more than others. It’s just not the way that participation is built. We have extra demands placed on us at Homestead–more goals, more work than other schools, and again, I don’t think that seems fair, and I don’t want to participate in a system that isn’t fair. Our opinion is not valued by administration. I, personally, will not work in a system where people aren’t treated fairly. We’re supposed to be models for students and if we can’t treat each other fairly then I don’t want to work in that system.

Mrs. Caldwell: I have loved teaching Spanish, and it is very important to me to finish on a strong note. I had thought that I would teach one or two more years, but it just came to me that this could and should be that last good year. Instinct.

What will you miss most about Homestead?

Mrs. Ribar: My hardworking colleagues and the wonderful students.

Mr. Markson: The energy of the students and staff.

Mr. Hubbell: Working with great teachers and students.

Ms. Lueders: I will miss the fantastic students and co-workers–the daily interaction with people.

Mrs. Caldwell: I will miss working with such a range of personalities each year. It’s very interesting to get to know so many different people. There are always surprises and more to discover.

What has been your favorite memory at Homestead?

Mrs. Ribar: The excellent musical performances over the years and the talented students that performed in them.

Mr. Markson: Being a part of the pride and spirit that everyone has for HHS.

Mr. Hubbell: Riding a Segway through the hall like a mall cop.

Ms. Lueders: Close Up Washington D.C. trips with students, sociology field trips to the Milwaukee Hunger Task Force and The Milwaukee Rescue Mission.

Mrs. Caldwell: I have many great memories of the Destinos videos and the goofy scenes students film. Scooby Doo chase scenes and really bad outfits for Raquel are favorites. Also, there have been several classic David Bisbal dancers.

Sra. Helen Caldwell, Spanish teacher, has been a teacher for 33 years.
Molly Ryan
Mrs. Rebecca Winnie, choir teacher, will retire this year.
Cassie Shaurette
Mr. Richard Hubbell, science teacher, helps students with a lab last year.