The trek of a champion

The cork board on Mrs. Connelly’s wall has over a decades worth of Trek 100 bib numbers. To the right of the bibs are certificates, letters, and pictures from the Trek 100 rides, founded by the M.A.C.C fund, that Mrs. Connelly has participated in. “All these kids are amazing, just amazing. They’re the reason I keep riding,” said Mrs. Connelly.

There is a big difference between a winner and a champion. A winner is the fastest, the brightest, the coolest, the most well liked. A winner is the best of the best in whatever he or she pursues. A winner is number one. A champion, on the other hand, is an individual with a story. A champion is one who puts herself before others, and takes a passion of hers to the next level in order to make a difference in our world.

Ms. Kathy Connelly, computer science and mathematics teacher at Homestead High School, is the epitome of a champion as she works tirelessly to support other, struggling champions – other child champions – as they fight the ultimate uphill battle we know as cancer.

Connelly has worked with and supported the Milwaukee Athletes Against Childhood Cancer, or the MACC Fund, since 1994. A while back, Ms. Connelly was the head girls soccer coach at Homestead, and being so made her more involved in the MACC Fund than ever before, because it is through soccer that she met the strongest girl she’s ever known: Susan Birschbach.

“I could talk for hours about Sue. She was first diagnosed with Leukemia when she was ten years old, again her freshman year of high school, and then for a final time her senior year. Feb. 22 of her senior year, she passed away,” a teary-eyed Connelly said.

After Sue died, her family organized a team to ride in the Trek 100, the MACC Fund’s biggest fundraiser in Waterloo, Wisconsin, a 100-mile race where cyclists are sponsored in order to raise money for childhood cancer and blood-related research. Connelly, along with other friends and loved ones of Susan’s, have been sponsored and has ridden for years in Susan’s memory.

Another champion who has inspired Connelly to keep being a champion herself is former student, Jeremy Rosen.

“Jeremy and Suzie were the hardest fighters I’ve ever known. Suzie would literally have chemotherapy on the bench during games. Jeremy was the same – he’d be sitting on the sidelines during his basketball games having chemo – and he still played every game,” a very emotional Connelly said.

Connelly now rides with Team Jeremy Rosen in the Trek 100. Last year alone the team raised over 14,000 dollars from sponsorship. While she rides with Team Jeremy, she rides for all of the champions whom she knew so dearly who lost the battle against cancer.

“All these kids are amazing, just amazing. They’re the reason I keep riding. When you’re riding, there’s a lot of hills, lots of hills- you’re literally on the first two miles of the ride thinking ‘really?’, but then you think about the kids, and the hills are nothing. The hills are nothing compared to what these kids go through.”

This will be Connelly’s twelfth year riding in the Trek 100.

Not only does Connelly ride 100 miles annually to support this amazing foundation, but she also has started her own fundraiser here at Homestead in the fund’s name. In the back of her classroom, Connelly sells “fun, but healthy” snacks to students throughout the day, like protein bars, Goldfish crackers, and Fruit by the Foot.

“I used to tell my students that I do this ride and if they would like to sponsor me they are welcome to, but one of my students recommended I start selling snack food and give the money to the MACC Fund,” Connelly said, and it has really taken off. Ms. Connelly’s classroom is always swarming with hungry teenagers and gives the 200-wing a mouth-watering popcorn aroma.

“I always believe in giving to others. If you’re healthy, you should share it and help out. As a coach, I would always tell my teams, ‘we’re going to somehow help other people’. Seeing these kids overcome the things they went through created a personal connection between myself and the MACC Fund, and I couldn’t imagine what my life would be like if I hadn’t gotten involved.”

“Do what you can to help others. Period. Look around, and if you have the ability help, do it. It’s easy for us to go through our lives saying, ‘I have food, I have clothing, I’m fine; life is good.’ but just open your eyes, because there’s always someone’s struggle that we’re not seeing,” Connelly said.