Freshman Friday: Sarah James enters high school on a positive note

Sarah James, freshman, smiles for a photo (submitted photo).

Sitting down with Chinese food to watch her favorite show, “One Tree Hill,” Sarah James, freshman, re-watches the same episodes she has seen a trillion times before. “I love watching Netflix just like many teenagers,” James said.

In addition to her love for “One Tree Hill,” James enjoys “Grey’s Anatomy” because of her interest in the medical field. “Although my answer changes to this quite a lot, I have wanted to be a pediatric oncologist or an orthopedic surgeon for some time now,” James said.

When she’s not enjoying Chinese food, James is always up for Thai as an alternative. If James had to choose a place to eat on the spot, her choice would most likely be along the lines of Samurai or Noodles and Company. After all, they do serve her favorite foods.

James shares her love of food with her friends who typically go out to breakfast, lunch or dinner with her quite a lot. “If we aren’t out to eat, we always think of something else weird or fun to do!” James said.

When James isn’t spending time with her friends, she loves to go to water parks and on vacations with her sisters Maeve, seventh grader at Lakeshore Middle School, Sam, freshman at the University of Minnesota and her parents. “At least once a year we go to a water park or on a trip to the a cool place!” James said.

Something most people don’t know about James is that she really enjoys attending school because she gets to see her friends on a regular basis. “I cannot imagine how bored I would get if i didn’t go to school everyday,” James said.

James’ interest in school is one of the many reasons high school has been so enjoyable for her so far. “Homestead has created a chance for me to meet many new people, take classes I didn’t even know existed and join clubs such as Kids4Kids! All those benefits along with having much more freedom are some of my favorite things about being in high school at the moment,” James said.

Although high school has begun as a very positive and enjoyable experience for James, life extends past the walls of Homestead High School. James recently lost her cousin, Sawyer, this fall due to an unexpected brain hemorrhage. “This will always stick with me because Sawyer has always been an important and main part of my life. Her passing has affected my family very much,” James said.

James carries this experience with her but doesn’t let it prevent her from moving forward. High school has just begun, and she can’t wait to see what else is in store for her.