Zidao Wang debates his way into freshman year

submitted photo

Zidao Wang (left) and his partner Andrew Wang, freshmen, pose with their awards from a debate tournament. ‘I love the argumentation that comes with debate,” Wang said

Every Friday, Highlander Publications chooses a freshman to be featured in “Freshman Friday,” giving the student population the opportunity to get to know its freshman class. Read below to learn about this week’s freshman, Zidao Wang.

It all started with China.

As Zidao Wang, freshman, walks into room 805 filled nervous excitement, he learns about what he’s been waiting for all throughout middle school: the Homestead debate team.

He slowly starts to bounce his leg as he becomes more and more excited to learn about the debate topic for the upcoming year: increasing engagement with China.

“I like the competition of debate and the community is great to be a part of. You really learn a lot in debate and it has translated a lot into my other classes as well,” Wang said.

Wang has seen remarkable success in debate, racking up 18 wins so far with multiple partners including Ben Kittleson, Liam Pasher, Jonathan Lane and Andrew Wang, freshmen.

“There is definitely a learning curve, but to see yourself constantly improving is really rewarding,” Wang said.

As Wang reminisces on the successful year so far, he offers sage wisdom for incoming freshmen.

“Get involved and make sure to stay organized. Don’t slack off on your classes even if you have good grades,” Wang said.