Freshman Friday: Jackson Katz skates his way into a new school

This week’s pick for Freshman Friday is Jackson Katz, a hockey and baseball player.

Submitted photo from Jackson Katz

Every Friday, a new story will be put online called “Freshman Friday”. A new freshman will be picked to be interviewed so the rest of the school can get to know them. Check in each week to learn about a new Highlander walking the halls.

jackaon infographic
Infographic created by Nicole Martin

What is your favorite food?

My favorite food is crab because it’s so tasty and flavorful.  I like to eat a lot and my favorite restaurant is Texas Roadhouse. Their biscuits are so good.

What sports do you play and what made you decide to play them?

I play hockey and baseball.  I chose to play hockey because it’s different and it’s a lot of fun.  I’ve been playing since I was four years old and hope to play all four years of high school.  I have also been playing baseball since I was seven because my dad used to play and he wanted to teach me everything he knew.  It is a great way to bond with him.

What has been your best experience at Homestead so far?

I have enjoyed going to the football games because we have a really good student section and team.  It is also fun hanging out with friends.  Though the weather is not always the best, it adds excitement to the overall event.

Is high school what you expected? Why and how?

Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 2.19.10 PM
Submitted photos compiled by Emily Shore

High school has been pretty much what I thought it would be like.  I have a lot more freedom which comes with many responsibilities.  I like how long the passing periods and classes are as it is makes the day go by faster.

What are you most looking forward to? Why?

I am most looking forward to playing hockey with a group of fun guys. Because my older brother, Patrick Katz, is on the team, I already know a lot of the boys which will be nice when it comes time for our season.