Homestead goes gold in support of pediatric cancer research

Nicole Martin

More stories from Nicole Martin

Freshman Friday
May 15, 2015
Emily Shore

More stories from Emily Shore

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 2.35.54 PM
Infographic by Emily Shore

This Friday, Sept. 26, the Homestead student section will be decked out in shining gold in support of Gold in September, an organization created by Sarah and John Bartosz after their son was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, an aggressive pediatric cancer that is difficult to treat. According to its website, goldinseptember.com, the mission of Gold in September is to “raise awareness and inspire action for childhood cancer initiatives.”

“I was contacted by the Booster Board, Dr. Michael Kelly and Mrs. Leslie Murphy, asking us if we could have a gold-themed game for cancer. I jumped right on it because I am against cancer,” Adam Hobbs, senior and co-leader of the student section, commented. “Supporting and raising awareness for pediatric cancer is the goal of this game.”

This cause is the focus of September as approximately 36 children are diagnosed every day, according to goldinseptember.com. “Childhood cancer awareness and, thus, financial support has not reached the same national level as other cancer awareness campaigns,” goldinseptember.com said.

“Gold is an unusual color for a student section, which will prompt questions and increase awareness [about pediatric cancer],” Sean Reynolds, senior and co-leader of the student section, added.

According to goldinseptember.com, the organization chose gold as its color because it represents a “golden umbrella of optimism for the future.”

For more information on Gold in September and how to support the cause, go to goldinseptember.com.