A holiday for giving

Kate Price

Toys donated for the toy drive are displayed in the windows of the counseling office.

Every year, Homestead’s student council teams up with Kapco and other schools in the Ozaukee County area to collect toys for the Kids 2 Kids Christmas Toy Drive. Students are encouraged to donate toys to this fundraiser to give back during a time of year that is difficult for those less fortunate.

“We have been gathering the toys in the counseling office to try and inspire the student body. Kapco does this really cool thing where they deck out an entire warehouse and fill it with toys, so we try to take the toys we have and do the same thing in the counseling office,” Melissa Le, senior and president of student council, said.

Student council implemented different events to raise money for additional toys as well.

Elisa Carranza, senior on student council, thinks highly of the toy drive and the importance of giving toys to families who can’t necessarily afford them. “We hosted a movie night at Homestead where we played Home Alone and charged admission of five dollars. Hot chocolate, apple cider and popcorn were all included, and all of our proceeds went towards the drive,” she said.

In addition to the movie night, student council arranged for dress up days all of this week. Monday was pajama day, Tuesday was twin day, Wednesday was winter whiteout day, Thursday was holiday sweater day, and Friday was flannel day.

“It’s a super festive event that gets the student council, and hopefully the student body, into the holiday spirit,” Rachel Fu, senior on student council board, said.

New this year, student council took the time to decorate the doors of teachers who wanted to help in promoting awareness for the toy drive.

“We hung up themed posters of things like puzzles, action figures and cars to get the student body aware of the drive,” Fu said.

Although this fundraiser takes place every year, participation was lower this year. Many students participated in the dress up days, but there were not as many toy donations as expected.

Mrs. Dawn Pfaff, supervisor of student council is saddened by the outcome this year. “This is the time of year for giving. It is so important to provide students and staff with the opportunity to give a small gift to those less fortunate. I just wish we would see more participation,” she said.

Click on the Steller to see some of the best dress up attempts and door decorations for the toy drive!