Filed under Winter Sports

Bittersweet senior night for gymnasts

Homestead’s gymnastics team came in second against the Grafton and Cedarburg High School combined team in the Homestead Field House on Jan. 3, 2018. The team finished with an overall team score of 130.65.

This was the last home competition for Homestead this season. Both competing teams handed out individual roses to their parents for parent and senior night.

To start off the night, Homestead recognized their team captain, Natalie Ceelen, as their only senior on the team. Her teammates put together a scrapbook of all their memories together, along with a speech delivered by Olivia Rossman, junior, her fellow teammate.

“No matter where we are — gymnastics practice, track practice, school, out to eat, at the beach or anywhere in between — I know that we will have a great time filled with lots of laughter,”  Rossman said. “I know that I can always count on you in whatever we do and that you will always have my back.”

Ceelen will not be continuing her gymnastics career in college.  “I will miss the connection I have with the girls. We’re like a family, so I’ll miss having someone to always lean on. Even after school if I’m having a rough day they’re there to cheer me up,” Ceelen said.

Ceelen has also helped organize many events during her high school career, such as the Highlander Invite. She’s taught the freshman the ropes of the team and continues to show constant support for her teammates.

“Natalie just always knows what to do to cheer you up. Everytime I’m doubting myself or I am nervous, she always tells me that I’m going to kill it. It just boosts my confidence so much,” Taylor Raskin, sophomore, said.

Over the course of the season the girls have bonded and grown closer to each other. “Instead of focusing competing against each other, they focus more on competing with each other,” Jordan Ireland, head coach, explained.

Once the girls get into practice mode after school, they forget about anything stressful and have fun. “I love everybody’s sense of humor and even when people are having a bad day, we’re always able to laugh it off,” Annie Gebhardt, sophomore, said.

Although Homestead came runner up, “our last home meet was a good way to kick off the rest of our season,” Gebhardt said.

Sarah Blaubach, Editor in Training

Sarah Blaubach is a senior at Homestead High School and this is her third year writing for Highlander Publications. This year, she is delighted to have...